Monday, September 9, 2013

ACFW Confrence Prep: Organizing Your Networking


Have you gotten all those one sheets printed? How about your writing samples? And don't forget to pack those business cards!

Equipped with all these things will give you confidence as you meet people at conference.... And You will meet people! Lots of people! So here's some quick tips on getting organized for all your networking.

Editors, Agents, Mentors: Since you wont know your actual appointments until you get there, print out all the write ups of those you requested to see. Make sure you are familiar with them in some other way than that. I even had an editor look at me like I was crazy when I mentioned something that was in her write up...she didn't know what I was talking about! So, go to their blogs, publishing houses, websites, and get to know them a bit. Take notes about points you'd like to make too.

Favorite Authors: It's so fun to get to see your favorite authors in person and get their autograph on your fave book. Make a list so you don't miss anyone!

Old Friends: You probably have dates scheduled through out the week. Be sure to make an itinerary of what you've scheduled. You could print off the conference itinerary and start penciling in your own personal dates too, so nothing is missed.
Also, make sure you get their cell #'s in your phone. Texting will come in handy at conference!

New Friends: Last year, I made a list of people I wanted to meet, whether it be online friends or crit friends from the ACFW loop. This might be the one time this year that you get to have a face to face conversation, so get organized and be sure to make that effort!

Seatmates: It's never too early to start gathering your friends to sit with at the gala. So many wonderful memories run through my mind as I think about last year, and sitting with all the Alley Cats.

Do you have any tips on how to get organized for conference? How about scheduling dates? SOOOOO excited to see some of you in a few days!!
***************************************************************************
Angie Dicken first began writing fiction as a creative outlet during the monotonous, mothering days of diapers and temper tantrums. She is passionate to impress God's love on women regardless of their background or belief. This desire serves as a catalyst for Angie's fiction, which weaves salvation and grace themes across historical cultures and social boundaries. Angie is an ACFW member and is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray of the Steve Laube Agency.

 

8 comments:

Julia M. Reffner said...

Oh man, autographs. Unfortunately flying I don't think I'll be able to get too many of these. I just had an idea, maybe I'll pick up some bookplates at BN if I get the time.

Meet you in a few days!!

Ruth Douthitt said...

Looking forward to this conference!! I don't have a book to pitch, but will bring some samples of my writing just in case. I will be attending to find a writing mentor and critique partner/group.

So excited to see my first book, The Dragon Forest, for sale at the conference!!!

Praying for everyone!!

Blessings,
Ruth

Lindsay Harrel said...

Great tips, Angie! Looking forward to meeting you in a few days.

Sarah Forgrave said...

Man, I can't believe how quick conference snuck up on me this year. Not gonna lie...I feel so unprepared, but I know it's in the Lord's hands.

Angie Dicken said...

Julia,
Yeah, this is the first year I am flying too. I might have to leave some at my parents then pick them up another time. I am a ditz...what's a bookplate??
Can't wait to meet you too!!!

Angie Dicken said...

Ruth, Thanks for stopping by!! I'll definitely look for your book, and maybe we'll run in to each other too!!

Angie Dicken said...

Lindsay!
Looking forward to meeting you! It's going to be a great week!

Angie Dicken said...

Sarah! Aw, I am SURE you will be fine! I got my stuff done right before I got a cold. Now I am doing my best to recover. What's the point of pitching if you sound like a wounded seal? ARGh!!!!!