Friday, September 6, 2013

Books and Brushetta

In between getting my one sheets ready for the conference and prepping and memorizing those pitches, there is this little thing called food that our families actually kinda like to consume. ;-) 

We'll get to that in a minute, but first...the to-be read stack and your list of everything-for-ACFW list.

Somehow admist everything that always seems to happen the week before a conference, I still find some time to put a bit of energy into this stack of books...many of them purchased at last year's ACFW (don't go there, I'm becoming a slower reader in my "old age"... ;)

Have you made a list of everything you need to take to the conference? It's like forgetting your pajamas or your pillow...there is always something you wish you had remembered to bring.

So a quick list before we get to that hunk of deliciousness I plan to share...
~One sheets?
~Pitch cheat sheet? (for those of us who haven't fully memorized our pitches yet?)
~Chapstick? (my lips got so dry last year in that dry Texas air!)
~A jean jacket and/or scarf? (I won't be caught without one this year!)

~Your roommates phone numbers?
~Your phone charger? (though last year, my room ate it. I almost 99.9% positive of this fact)
~An extra outfit? (make the room...you might have a Katie Ganshert/soup incident...)
~Comfortable shoes? (even though the cute ones are so much more tempting!)
~Camera?
~Spending money?
~List of friends you want to meet? (I always find someone I want to meet every year!)
~Schedule of all you're doing? )My biggest fear is I will miss an appointment or a lunch date!)

Get ready to meet God on an intimate level with your writing and with you at this conference. He permeates the halls and fills me up past overflowing every year. It's a gift just in the going.

So while you're piling everything to take in the corner of your office/bedroom or wherever, take a few minutes to make this recipe.

One of my favorite recipes of all time can be as complicated or as simple as you want to make it and it is DELICIOUS no matter what. I'm serious, it's pretty much a no fail.


Oh yeah, your mouth is watering now, isn't it?
Click for the pin/recipe
The recipe attached to this pin, is different from what my family makes and like I said, it can be complicated or super easy. We'll go with the easy version. ;-)

Buy a container of Bruschetta at your local super market. The fresher the better.

Grab some old (or fresh) bread from the bakery...or make your own and fry in a big of olive oil until brown and crispy. Melt swiss cheese over the bread while frying. Once the bread is as brown as you'd like, top with the Bruschetta and cover just until warmed. No longer or the bread will become soggy.

Serve warm (or cold!). Soooooo good! My stomach is growling right now. ;-)

If you want to make it more complicated, then make the Bruschetta yourself which is just salsa with basil instead of cilantro and olive oil to thicken. Depending on the size of your salsa, it could take up to a 1/4 cup. 

See simple? And everyone likes it, sure to become a new family favorite!

What is on your list of not-to-be-forgotten things to take to a writer's conference?

*************************************************
Casey Herringshaw is a homeschool graduate and has been writing since high school. She lives in rural Eastern Oregon in a town more densely populated with cows than people. 

No comments: