Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Conference Emotions and Some Scripture Meditations


Last year when I attended ACFW, I was raw with fear.

It was a new experience.

I hate talking to large groups. 

Meeting new people causes a tsunami wave to bolt through my stomach.

I hadn't flown on a plane in over fifteen years. 

I had never traveled alone.
And I could continue on...

Last year I did a lot of praying. In my hotel room. In the prayer room. In the dining hall. In the appointment waiting area. And with other people in all of those places.

Praying for others helped me to get through a stressful time for me.

The other thing that helped me was meditating on the Scriptures. I carried little cards in my wallet with Scripture verses and took them out regularly whenever I had a spare moment. 

With conference upcoming, I would like to share some Scriptures to meditate on whether you are attending or not and whatever emotions you may be struggling with this week.

Here are some Scriptures that may help, taken from the ESV version.

Contentment:

Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.-1 Timothy 6:6-7

Fear: 

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.-Joshua 1:9

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?-Psalm 27:1-2

For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock.-Psalm 27:5

Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!-Psalm 31:24

God's timing:

Make me to know your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.-Psalm 25:5

Humility:

He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way. All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.-Psalm 25:10

My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad.-Psalm 34:2
Loneliness:

Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses.-Psalm 25:16-17

God's goodness:

Oh how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind.--Psalm 31:19

Direction:

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.-Psalm 32:8

Hurting:

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.-Psalm 34:18

You have kept count of my tossings, put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book?-Psalm 56:8

PRAISE:

I will give thanks to you, O LORD, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.-Psalm 58:9-10

But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of distress.-Psalm 59:16

He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not greatly be shaken.-Psalm 62:2

Splendor and majesty are before Him; strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.-Psalm 96:6



Is there any Scripture that has helped you during a difficult time in your writing life? Please share with us.


Julia enjoys writing women's fiction whenever she can find a chair free of smushed peanut butter sandwiches and lego blocks. She is a wife and homeschooling mama of two littles. She also enjoys reading and reviewing books for Library Journal, The Title Trakk, and Christian Library Journal.



5 comments:

Karen @ a house full of sunshine said...

Beautiful verses, Julia - thank you!!

Angie Dicken said...

Great idea for a post, Julia! Perfect!

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Beautiful Scriptures, Julia! I like Jer 29:11,
Psalm 37:3. Will you be there this year?

Julia M. Reffner said...

Thanks, Karen and Ang.

Jeanne, No, I won't be there this year. I had actually planned to go but life circumstances got in the way a bit. Already saving up for next year though God willing.

Susan Anne Mason said...

It seems like all the posts today are about us introverts at a conference! I must say it's wonderful to know I'm not alone in this.

Thanks for sharing your verses! I smile thinking about you pulling cue cards out of your pocket with scripture on them! :)

Hope one year we'll be there at the same time and get to meet.

Cheers,
Sue