Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Tipful Tuesday: Attend A Conference


In 2010, I was about to receive my first major rejection—my entry in the Genesis contest was
SEVERELY lacking in every element that comes with a successful opening to a novel. That book shall never see the light of day. Oh me, oh my. That was also the first year I attended ACFW (a logical next step after very insightful contest critiques). I was in the throes of morning sickness, with a commitment of attending only for one day. Fear (and funds) strapped me to minimal participation.

But, whoa.

What happened? So much happened since that first step into a hotel coffee shop swearing I would just hide my pregnant self behind a book and wait for it to be over. Friends happened. Mentors happened. Networking happened. A year later, I semi-finaled in the Genesis. Two years later, I met my agent. And in 2016, I walked into conference with a book contract signed, and another contract waiting for me the next month.

 In my opinion (and in the opinion of those authors I reached out to before 2010), attending a writer’s conference is the BEST next step for an aspiring writer. ACFW is where I started, and where I continue to go—there is so much to be learned, so many people to befriend, so much community to ground yourself in so your stories can bloom with confidence and encouragement. Any seasoned writer will tell you that conference isn’t about a contract. But if you are sitting there, with words and stories, and you haven’t stepped into a writer’s conference, I’d say this #tipfultuesday take that step in the right direction. My recommendation? Check out www.acfw.com

###
Angie Dicken credits her love of story to reading British literature during life as a military kid in Cambridgeshire, England. Now living in the U.S., she's an ACFW member, a blog contributor to the Writer's Alley, a baseball mom, and a self-proclaimed foodie. Two of her historical romance novels comprise her Fall 2017 debut: The Outlaws Second Chance, Love Inspired Historical, and My Heart Belongs in Castle Gate, Utah, Barbour. 


Connect with Angie at www.angiedicken.com



No comments: