Monday, November 26, 2012

Writing to Wait

Wait. Wait. Wait.


We wait on that perfect idea. Once we are inspired, we wait to find the time to write the story. And then, we wait for feedback from our crit group. Sometimes you have to put it aside a bit and wait until you've had some breathing room before you jump back in. Once it's polished, you send out queries to a gazillion agents, and then comes the rejection. And you continue writing and sending, and then the real WAITING begins.

Wait. Wait. Wait.

I've never considered myself a patient person. Hey, I grew up in the age of instant gratification. Over the years though, I have had no choice but to develop patience. Through college, applications, job applications, expectant motherhood, impending moves...life is filled with waiting.
Unfortunately, my patience kind of ebbs and flows. Some days I set aside my anticipation, and other days, I strive, second guess myself, wonder if I have what it takes.

With much encouragement from my writer friends (ahem, Alley Cats), and a lot of prayer, I am trying to learn to LIVE while I wait. To not just sit here and let a million thoughts, a dozen “To do” items to increase my chances, overwhelm me and keep me from just plain old enjoying life in this process.

Okay, I'll surrender my words on this, and point you to a song that has given me hope in the waiting. What I like most about this song, is he doesn't talk about just sitting there and wait, but moving forward, serve, worship, LIVE in the waiting! Click on the link below if you would like to listen to it.

Endure the wait. Good things will follow!



While I'm Waiting by John Waller

I'm waiting

I'm waiting on You, Lord

And I am hopeful

I'm waiting on You, Lord

Though it is painful

But patiently, I will wait


I will move ahead, bold and confident

Takeing every step in obedience

While I'm waiting

I will serve You

While I'm waiting

I will worship

While I'm waiting

I will not faint

I'll be running the race

Even while I wait

I'm waiting

I'm waiting on You, Lord

And I am peaceful

I'm waiting on You, Lord

Though it's not easy

But faithfully, I will wait

Yes, I will wait

I will serve You while I'm waiting

I will worship while I'm waiting

I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
Do you struggle with patience? Has there been a time when you've been blessed in the waiting?


****************************************************************************


Angie Dicken first began writing fiction as a creative outlet during the monotonous days of diapers and temper tantrums. She is passionate to impress God's love on women regardless of their background or belief. This desire serves as a catalyst for Angie's fiction, which weaves salvation and grace themes across cultures. She is an ACFW member and CEO of a family of six.

6 comments:

Pepper said...

Julie,
Sorry your comment blinked off of this thing! I LOVED how to talked about Advent being the season of 'waiting'.
Oh YES! That's a wonderful way to compare our writing world with the coming of Christ. How many years had people waited for the coming Messiah? And now...how long do we wait in anticipation of his second coming? I believe God's interested in refining us through waiting, don't you? :-)

Lindsay Harrel said...

Love that song! Always reminds me of the movie, Fireproof. :P

I'm not patient by nature, but I'm learning that waiting is very much part of the writing life...

Cindy R. Wilson said...

I love this song by John Waller! It really spoke to me the first time I heard it. Waiting is a hard thing. I've gotten better at it in a lot of parts of my life, but it seems to be the hardest with writing. Maybe because a lot of times there are no definite end dates. Thanks for this post, Angie. I needed it!

Unknown said...

Living while you wait...I love that.

My mom once told me (and I've never forgotten) that patience isn't just waiting...it's waiting well, with a good attitude. And your post totally nails that. We can lose ourselves and miss out on life during those seasons of waiting...or we can find blessings, even joy and peace during those times. Easier said than done, sure, but not impossible...which I need to remind myself today as I'm definitely in waiting mode in one area of my life. :)

Carrie Fancett Pagels said...

God always has a reason why He has us wait. So yes, I have been blessed by waiting--esp. when I have seen why, or the glimpse into the why, for the wait. Very nice post. I am waiting, too, and am blessed by His peace in this process--and that is a great assurance, He will be with us in our waits, all kinds of waits. Blessings!

Julia M. Reffner said...

This is a great post for all aspects of our life because we are all waiting in one or more areas of our life. Good post for today :)