Monday, May 20, 2013

Tips to Treasure with Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter captured readers with her novels, Surrender Bay and A Convenient Groom. She's been wooing them to the coast with her tender love stories since last year - when she introduced cowboys and Moose Creek.

She's going to chat with us today about heroes. ( a 'hot' topic)

Who has been one of your favorite heroes to read? So many great heroes out there! But if pressed, I think I'd have to go with Michael Hosea from Redeeming Love. Francine Rivers knows how to write a Godly man with all the yummy characteristics women love.
Oh my, yes! There is a reason why Michael Hosea turns our hearts as readers. I think it's a healthy mixture of strength and tenderness.


Who has been one of your favorite heroes to write? They're all so fun to write and so different. I'd say it was probably Dylan Taylor from The Trouble with Cowboys.

And WHY was he your favorite to write?

Hmmm. Texas drawl, blue eyes, dimples. All that and a cowboy too. :) I love his flirty, playful ways and the way he's so much deeper than first meets the eye-which Annie eventually discovered. There's something about a wounded cowboy . . .
There definitely is! Whew...
Leave a comment about 2 characteristics you think are a MUST for a good hero and have your name placed into a drawing for Denise's book, The Trouble with Cowboys.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

FUN! Love Denise Hunter's books.

Two characteristics I think a hero MUST have: A flaw or wound (like Denise mentioned)...that's always a sure-fire way to get me sympathetic. And the perfect five o'clock shadow...that's always a sure-fire way to get me swooning. :)

Julia M. Reffner said...

I agree with Melissa on the flaw, also I love heroes with a sense of humor. Great interview!

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

Oh, yes Denise's heroes sure can make a girl swoon! I would say a playful sense of humor and a heart-melting grin are among my favorite characteristics. I also love a protective instinct and a fierce heart for God! Too many to choose from :)

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Love this. I confess, I haven't read any of Denise Hunter's books yet. :)

Two characteristics I like heroes to have: the ability to see the essence of his heroine, and both tough and tender aspects to his character.

Tiffany Jane said...

Random writely question to put out there: Do you think it would help creating a godly character if you took Jesus' characteristics and then "faulted" some of them? I wonder if it would actually make it better or just take a lot of time while adding in a bible study. It just seems to me that Michael Hosea was a "fautled" Jesus in a way (as we all are)

karenk said...

I agree w/ Melissa's comment...a 'flaw' and 'a five o'clock shadow'...i'm swooning, too :)

karenk
kmkuka at yahoo dot com

Pepper said...

Ooh, nice comments, ladies.
Tough and tender, with a sense of humor, heart for God, and 5 o'clock shadow.
Dag!
Sounds good to me.

I asked 4 secondary students their top qualities of a hero in a book and here were some of them:
compassionate (good one)
quick-minded/intelligent
sarcastic (or sense of humor)
my 13 year old said 'the underdog'
self-sacrificing

Denise Hunter said...

Thanks for hosting me, Pepper. And thanks for the kind words Melissa and Amy.

I'm with you all . . . there's something about a five o'clock shadow. :)