Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Tips to Treasure - Verses of Inspiration

Today I'm going to draw from the archives with a specific purpose in mind. Bible verses. As writers who are Christians, our worldview and inspiration is shaped by our faith.

I hope these verses and comments will bring inspiration and encouragement to you.

Janet Dean
Matthew 7:7–Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

When I’m doing what I believe is God’s will for me, this verse tells me to ask for what I need to accomplish that purpose. That God will give those things to me and will open doors. The promises of this verse are conditional. I must ask, seek and knock first. The verse doesn’t say how long I must ask, seek and knock, but when I do, he will answer in his perfect timing. I’ve seen the promises of this verse fulfilled in my life and specifically with my writing. Now that I’m published, I claim that promise when the words aren’t coming but my deadline is. I ask God for strength, wisdom and peace to create stories that will bring him glory. He’s never failed to answer. When I ask, seek and knock.

Erica Vetsch

The Bible verse that helps me when I’m stymied? The same one that helps me in so many ways. Often when I’m blocked or stuck or procrastinating, it’s because I’m afraid. Afraid I won’t be able to give life to the vision in my head, that I won’t live up to my and readers’ expectations.
That’s when I need to remind myself of a profound truth.
Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
Mary Connealy
The one that comes to mind right now is Psalms 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation–whom shall I fear?
To me, in many ways, the whole Bible is almost summed up in this one sentence (I know it’s not…but there is so much in this one sentence). If we could just remember that God will be with us, even in death, we could face everything. Fear nothing. I think the whole world would change and our whole outlook would change if we could just feel the depth of God’s protection–the beauty of His salvation. It’s a part of His love, and key to remembering He’s always with us.
Audra Harders
Frustrations lay around every corner of the writing process. If I gave in to them, I’d probably still be writing “See Spot run” or something like that. My favorite verses for not only frustration and slumps, but for all the mysteries of life is from Proverbs:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

If it’s important to me, I’ve got to let it go. Easy to say; difficult to do.

Rachel Hauck

When writing Diva Nashvegas I was struggling so much and while at prayer one day, the Lord lead me to Isaiah 41:13, “… do not fear, I will help you.”

I knew He was with me. I pray that verse from time to time. Reminding the Lord, reminding myself.

Did you catch the theme of these verses? As writers we FEAR? But GOD has arrived to OVERCOME our fear!
1 John 4:18 - There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear

Remember that as you write - and as you live, and may His perfect love encourage you to find peace in the storm of writing.

4 comments:

Gabrielle Meyer said...

Thank you, Pepper. I needed these reminders today.

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Thanks, Pepper. So many of these verses have ministered to my spirit in the past. I needed to read them again today. I'm so glad you shared them.

teresa said...

thank you. printed a copy to keep handy during those difficult writing moments

Susan Anne Mason said...

Beautiful post - both the words and the pictures.

Thanks so much!

Sue