Tuesday, November 13, 2012

7 Social Media Secrets of the Savvy

1) Make sure what you write benefits others.

Stacey Zink, historical romance writer, says, "I try to ask myself, 'Is this something that is going to encourage someone or be of some type of benefit before I post it.'"

Stacey adds, "I love to encourage people, so if I have a chance to encourage a fellow writer on Facebook or Pinterest, then I will take it."


2) Promote other authors.

From Stacey Zink: "I will gladly share their links or promote their free books, because I know it can make a difference in their lives and it only takes me a moment to click a button. On Facebook, we have a chance to be a blessing to someone every day."

Roseanna White, author of several novels including Love Finds You in Annapolis, Maryland, states:
I "share when others' books are free or on sale, if its a book my readers will connect with."

Lindsay Harrel, women's fiction writer shares these thoughts on promotion:

"I like to link to other people's articles that really struck me. Or tag other people. Or give them props. It's such an easy way to give encouragement and brag publicly about someone else, and I love it for that."


3) View Facebook as a ministry.


Stacey Zink writes: "I suppose I look at facebook as a ministry, even if not in the traditional sense. I may not preach from the Word of God every day, but I hope that my posts reflect the love and grace of God."



4) Be real.

Carrie Fancett Pagels shared the following: "I was a psychologist for 25 years and I don't want to be straight-jacketed when I am making comments on Facebook. If I want to use exclamation points I will whether they are considered professional or not!!!! (See my point!) And psychologists are told to STAY off of Facebook. I use caps a lot but am not yelling. Maybe people think that I am. I have arthritis and my fingers hurt more to try to bold something but on Facebook I don't know even how to do that, LOL! Anyway be genuine, be yourself."

(And Carrie well illustrates another important point. Don't take yourself too seriously.)


"My whole goal with my posts is to remind my friends that I'm a writer and my readers that I'm a real person," says Roseanna White.


5) Keep a good mix of posts.


Alleymate Pepper Basham keeps the following criteria in mind: "When I put something I want it to be three possible things: 1) a good hook--oooh, that's an interesting thought. 2) funny--ah, that brightened my day. 3) (RARE) deep, thoughtful, and short.


Roseanna White also states she likes to have a good variety of posts.

"Usually about once a day or so I'll post something personal, but clever. Often it's the hilarity that my small children speak, or a silly thing I noticed. Why? Because people love to laugh, and kid witticisms tend to stick with them. And then I'll sprinkle in updates on my writing. If I've just reached a big milestone, I'll share that, because people love to celebrate with others."


6) Stay interactive.


Roseanna writes about her most frequent posts: "But more often I try to post something that's interactive--asking for help on naming a character, a book, thoughts on a plot devise, or something fun I encounter in my research that invites reaction, like "I just discovered this but am choosing to ignore it--shh, don't tell!"


Lindsay Harrel writes: "Essentially, Facebook is a way to get to know others better, and as an author, you are NOT just all about your writing."

7) Don't forget the MAIN thing.

In closing I would like to cite two Scripture verses that Stacey Zink mentioned that I think are fantastic thought for writers to keep in mind.

Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build one another up.




In two weeks, I will be sharing more social media strategies from Kristy Wedge Cambron and others.
What are your secrets to writing quality Facebook posts?

Julia enjoys writing women's fiction whenever she can find a chair free of smushed peanut butter sandwiches and lego blocks. She is a wife and homeschooling mama of two littles. She also is a reviewer for Library Journal, Title Trakk and Christian Library Journal.

15 comments:

Beth K. Vogt said...

Thanks for this post, Julia. I enjoyed reading everyone's insights.

Stacey said...

Thanks, Julia! I love what Carrie said about being real. That is so true! Plus, I love exclamation points. :)

Anonymous said...

Great post, Julia. You shared great insights today. I really like the Facebook post thoughts. Those three criteria are good for me to consider.

Julia M. Reffner said...

Beth, Thanks for stopping by. I loved the tidbits these ladies shared. Helped me for sure!

Stacey,
I know, that was one of my favorite bits that Carrie shared, too. So much good stuff you ladies had to say.

Jeanne,
I love the thoughtfulness these ladies put into their post topics. It is very evident. Glad you were blessed by their insights.

Lindsay Harrel said...

Loved hearing everyone's thoughts. Great post, Julia. :)

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Julia, great post! I love hearing other writers strategies and what they enjoy reading. I try to post something interactive here and there, and something fun about me, too. However, I am not on Facebook all that much (maybe a good thing? :D)

Joanne Sher said...

This is SUCH good stuff. Especially love Roseanna's tips (but I really like her anyway LOL). Thanks!

Sarah Forgrave said...

Great tidbits, ladies. Thanks for pulling these thoughts together, Julia! I like what Pepper said about posting on Facebook...I use a similar measuring stick. If I don't have anything beneficial to say, I stay quiet. :)

Anonymous said...

Sarah, me too. :)

Julia M. Reffner said...

Lindsay, Thanks and thanks for sharing. Can't wait to share more of what you said next week.

Cindy,
That's probably a good thing :). When I first got on FB I think I went a little nuts but now am learning to balance and get max benefit from a very few minutes.

Joanne,

Roseanna rocks! I was so thrilled to meet her at ACFW this year and loved her comments.

Julia M. Reffner said...

Sarah,

I always smile when I "see" you here. I think Pepper is very wise with her three part posting strategy.

Pepper said...

GREAT post, Julia.
I love learning from other people and their wisdom!

And...if Sarah agrees with me, then I MUST be on the right track :-) I feel better about myself already.

Julia M. Reffner said...

Pepper, LOL. Me, too. There were so many nuggets I could not fit it into one post.

Carrie Fancett Pagels said...

Thanks STACEY!!! Exclamation point lovers rock! I am trying to behave myself and go on an exclamation point diet but we will see!

Thanks for including me in this post, JULIA, even though I don't feel very savvy. Honestly, I've heard too many people talking about the image a writer wants to put out there and that irks me. God doesn't want us to be fake.

Julia M. Reffner said...

AMEN, Carrie about realness!