Wednesday, October 9, 2019

The Post-Conference Slump


Ashley here! I don't know about all of you, but I am still battling the after-conference slump as I try to return to my normal routine after ACFW. I'm still so tired, I miss my friends, and I'm behind on everything! Sound familiar?

Mary recently blogged about the importance of sending those requested manuscripts to their intended agents/editors, to which I say a resounding YES! Make that happen.

But in the meantime, if you too are wrangling to make your day-to-day more writing friendly, let's talk about some tips that may be helpful. And let the record state, I am very much preaching to myself here!


  • Start small. I have this bad habit of feeling like every little thing I do has to be perfect, and often, the desire for perfection prevents me from taking little and necessary steps toward a goal. I feel like it has to be done masterfully, and if I can't do it masterfully, I'll wait until I can. And then... I never get anything done. Sound familiar? Consider Zechariah 4:10 which tells us do not despise small beginnings. Starting small will help you build steady momentum.
  • Rest. I know, I know. Easier said than done. But try to catch any rest you can, be it physical rest, mental rest, or emotional rest. If you're pushing hard to get a proposal done, give yourself a little breathing room before sending it off. Your subconscious may be working harder than you realize. Try to squeeze in a nap this weekend. Visit a coffee shop or a bookstore or spend an extra five minutes snuggling a dog. You have to give back to your heart if you want to create from a healthy place.
  • Dream big. You'll have plenty of time to be emotionally paralyzed by the fear of rejection. Purposely remind yourself of the highs and excitement you felt during the conference, whether they were professional, or God-moments, or moments with friends. Let your heart dwell among those places a little while, and let your hope be fed.
  • When all else fails, watch a Hallmark movie. You only think I'm kidding.


Let's hear from you! What do you have to add to the list?




###



Ashley Clark's debut novel releases next fall with Bethany House. She's dreamed of being a writer ever since the thumbprint-cookie-days of library story hour. Ashley has an M.A. in English and enjoys teaching literature courses at her local university. She's an active member of ACFW and runs their newcomer's loop. When she's not writing, Ashley's usually busy rescuing stray animals and finding charming new towns. You can find Ashley on her website, Facebook, and PinterestShe is represented by Karen Solem.

1 comment:

kaybee said...

Ashley, thanks for this. I had my post-conference slump AT the conference, Saturday was NOT a good day, but I know what you mean. It's like Jesus with Peter, John and James coming off the mountaintop. Kind of. We need to remember that glow, but also that God put us in the real world for a reason. I love this, "You have to give back to your heart if you want to create from a healthy place."
Kathy Bailey