Thursday, September 20, 2018

When You Can't Go To ACFW Conference

Today is the day! It's the beginning of the 2018 ACFW Conference. If you are one of the lucky ones, you are flying/driving in, checking into your hotel, and meeting up with friends who "get you" and your weird writer brain.

But there are some, myself included, who couldn't quite scrap enough dollars together to attend. Yes, it is sad. I also noticed a tinge of green coloring my countenance when I looked in the mirror. Jealous, much?

How is a person supposed to get over the I-CANT-GO-TO-CONFERENCE-BLUES? (Or greens, as in my case!)

I've provided a list for your enjoyment:

  • Sign up for At-Home Conference 2018! I stumbled upon this and then found out my editor is the one who put it together! There is a list of topics and faculty, and it looks amazing! Plus, it's free! You can find more about it HERE. They also have a Facebook Group HERE
  • Hit up your favorite coffee shop and pour out sadness/frustration/er, jealousy into your work-in-progress. Yeah, it's not really like going to the conference, but you might as well take advantage of those emotions. 
  • Binge on Netflix! There are so many great movies and TV shows that you can escape to. It's okay to take a day (or two or three) for yourself. If you have small kids, hire a babysitter for the afternoon and take some much deserved ME time. 
  • Search hashtags on Twitter or Instagram (#acfw2018 or #acfw) and send an encouraging comment to those who are nervous about pitching or meeting new people. Yes, you will have to tamp down the jealousy, but giving to others will help in restoring joy for others. 
  • Knock out your TBR pile. This is a great time to escape into great books. It will take your mind off what you are missing and will transport you to a different time and place. Reading is the answer to everything, don't you think?
While I know there is nothing that will completely take away the heartache of not attending the ACFW Conference, you can definitely find things to do that will ease the pang of "missing out". Remember, God works everything out for good. He knows your desires and He has a plan for you. 

Take heart, dear one!

If you aren't going to the 2018 ACFW Conference this year, what are you going to do instead?

*Photo Credit: Robin Higgins @ pixabay.com


**************************************************************************

Sherrinda Ketchersid is a born and bred Texan, preacher’s wife, mother of 4 children, and works part-time as a bookseller at Amazon. With the children grown and out of the house, she weaves tales of fierce knights and their ladies in a time where men were warriors and women had to be strong enough to keep them in check.

After taking time off from writing, she has returned with a new motto in place to spur her on. “Writers write. Everyone else makes excuses.” ~Jack Bickham.  No excuses this time. She is weaving her love of romance with history to bring joy and the hope of love to those who may one day read her stories. Her first book, tentatively The Lady's Masquerade, will release April 2019.

You can connect with her through:

Personal blog: sherrinda.com
Twitter: @sherrinda
Instagram: @sherrinda

10 comments:

CandidCorinthian said...

Thank you! I needed to read this today, because I was feeling a little down about not getting to go.

I will take this time to finish outlining my next novel.

Blessings,

Chloe Flanagan

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Chloe, I confess that I needed this post too! It's hard to not be with the very people who "get" you. It's hard to miss out on all the informative classes. It's just plain hard. I'm praying for you as you finish outlining your next novel. That's hard!!!! (at least for me!) - Sherrinda

Laurie Wood said...

Hi Sherrinda! I signed up for 2018 At-Home Conference last week but I still feel the sting of not being with our Writing Sisters in Nashville. Last night heading in to sleep I said to my hubby, "I wish we were in Nashville!" and all I got was a growled " well, we're NOT!" He's not amused that I'm so bugged by missing out, lol. Even though the "deal" was "we'll see if you sell your book" - and then I SOLD my book! Ha! Well, let's just pray for each other this week and pray for those we know and love at the conference. There *will* be other conferences and the Lord will work all things together for good for us, right? I'm with Chloe - I'm outlining my next novel and it's been a slog. I just need to get my head and heart in the right place!
And let's all enjoy the At-Home Conference!
blessings to all,
Laurie

Sherida Stewart said...

Love all your ideas, Sherrinda! (Yes, as I sit here with my green face on!) i’ve started the At-Home Conference and was so excited to find it! How great is it that your editor offers this?!?! The conversations in the Facebook group are fun, too. I share Laurie’s thoughts...we’ll pray for those in Nashville and for those of us hoping to attend ACFW conferences in the future. I’m grateful to Karin and Rondi for providing the At-Home opportunity! See you online, my friend!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Laurie, bless your heart! I will be praying for you, as you pray for me. It's hard watching your friends having a good time, but I'm enjoying the At-Home Conference. It helps! :) (((hugs))) - Sherrinda

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Sherida! Thank you! I'm so glad you signed up for the At-Home Conference. I like the FB group and it helps to soften the blow of not being in Nashville this weekend. (((hugs))) - Sherrinda

Karen Schravemade said...

I feel you, Sherrinda! I'm totally jealous and I'm owning it! 🙋‍♀️😆It helps knowing we're not alone, at least! Sending you a big hug today cos I'm sure we both need it. I have my sights set on next year!

Robin E. Mason said...

this is SO me!! i've got plenty to keep me busy but all.the.pics&posts!!! WAAAAA one day i'll be a big girl and i'll get to go LOL thanks for a great post, and yes, i joined the FB support page!!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Karen, we are two green-eyed twins. :) I would soooo love for you to come next year! I know the expense must be crazy coming from Australia. Hugs, my friend. :)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Robin, I'm with you! All of the posts and the pictures...it's a love/hate thing! lol I'm glad you joined the FB page! See you there!