Tuesday, May 1, 2018

#TipfulTuesday: 15 Minute Appointments




#TipfulTuesday The full value in the fifteen minute appointment is more than you can imagine. 

ACFW has opened registration on line. Blue Ridge Christian Writer's Conference begins in 3 weeks. And there are more conference opportunities yet to come this year.

While the big questions for you may be, should I go? Can I afford to go? Why should I go? 

Let me answer a little question for you.
At my first ACFW conference... it's been at least 8 years, I signed up for an appointment not knowing--at all--what I would say or what would take place in those precious fifteen minutes. What I did know was I wanted to sit across from an expert and learn from them. If the person happened to like my work, well, that would be an added bonus.

I was excessively nervous.

Unable to formulate a word, I slid my material across the desk to the agent. She read a few paragraphs then looked up. She asked a few questions about the story. During this time she said the unheard of comment, "I would like to known more in the beginning. Could you start the story sooner?"

While the topic is not about the fruit of this conversation, my recently published book, yeah!!, our focus today is on the tremendous advice given during conference appointments.

You have an opportunity to sit across from an expert. You can gleam from their expertise. 

Conferences usually offer three types of appointments: mentors, agents, editors. 

A mentor will gladly listen to issues you may have about your story and make suggestions. Ask questions. Offer advice.
An agent will do the same but also consider your work as something they'd like to represent in the publishing field. 
An editor will listen but will also consider your work as something their publisher may want for publication.

Every single time an appointment ended, whether the expert asked to see more of my work or not, I felt I had learned volumes. 

So, to the writers who are reading, if you are able to attend a conference, sign up for an appointment and look forward to learning reams.

To the mentors, agents and editors who meet with us, know that you truly are appreciated, and you mean a great deal. Your words sink into our minds and help us mold better stories.

~Mary Vee


#TipfulTuesday #amwriting #writingconferences 

Lead Photo by Mary Vee





Mary Vee -  Mary Vee - Rock climbing, white-water rafting, and hiking top Mary’s list of ways to enjoy a day. She was homeless for a time, earned her MA in Counseling, and married an Air Force vet.  Mary has been a finalist in several writing contests and writes for her King.



Visit Mary at her websiteblog, and her ministry blog to families: God Loves Kids. Or chat on Facebook or Twitter



Mary's new release, Daring to Live, is a new release on Amazon.

No comments: