Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Tipful Tuesday: Words and Reality, Edgar Allan Poe

I am here, right now, in my manuscript, with Mr. Poe whispering these words in my ear. Writing, editing, dissecting the deepest, darkest wanderings of my heroine's heart, and terrified that I might fail at writing words that are reality yet fiction. 


Perhaps I've chosen a quote by the grim Mr. Poe that sends us down the darker path on this #tipfultuesday, but it has struck me as a powerful truth that is close to describing what I must do for my story to thrive.

 I would like to suggest that, no matter how made up our story worlds are, we should always strive for words that explore the reality of the human condition...whether it be in describing something as sweet as a lover's first kiss, or as heart-wrenching as the grief of losing someone dear...

Let us as authors tap into powerful writing so that we leave readers with meaningful, truth-filled words that not only end when they close the book, but power their minds to experience life to the full.

###
Angie Dicken credits her love of story to reading British literature during life as a military kid in Cambridgeshire, England. Now living in the U.S., she's an ACFW member, a blog contributor to the Writer's Alley, a baseball mom, and a self-proclaimed foodie. Two of her historical romance novels comprise her Fall 2017 debut: The Outlaws Second Chance, Love Inspired Historical, and My Heart Belongs in Castle Gate, Utah, Barbour. 

No comments: