Friday, August 12, 2016

Fun Friday Conference Edition

Thank heavens its the end of another week! Like many of you, I have Nashville on my mind so conference edition was a natural fit. But even if you're not planning to attend, keep reading. Its a bummer when resources or something else keeps us from ACFW, but God still has a great plan for your writing life even if it doesn't look the way you expect (or happen in your timing).

Notable News:
  •  Amy Simpson's newest release is available for free right now in kindle format. From Winter's Ashes is a lyrical read that combines breathtaking suspense with those kissing scenes Amy is famous for. 
  • Does your main character reflect on what they've learned throughout their journey? Why and how they should in a great post from Mary Vee this week, MC Must Raise the White Flag. 
  • The old adage less is more also applies to our writing life. Krista shares how to simplify in a way that will grow our writing in her post, When Less is Really More.
ACFW Nashville Edition:

Do you have any funny conference stories?

One of our cats asked a prominent senior editor what she wrote after being introduced to her at conference. I have a feeling many have made a similar error!
 
My first conference four years ago, I was terrified! As a mega-introvert I had to take lots of time outs in the powder room! And to show how nervous I was I "lost" my driver's license (a super no-no for plane travel) in my own bag! After going through extra security measures (ick!) I found it hidden in a special pocket pouch I had somehow missed. 

I'd love to hear your amusing ACFW stories!


  •  I just started reading a fantastic book, Uninvited by Lysa TerKeurst. I think this is a great read for writers because who hasn't experienced rejection in some manner. Who hasn't felt "less than, left out, or lonely"? This study reinforces the heart truth that God is good in the midst of our painful circumstances and shows how these painful feelings He unroots can be a means of finding our true security in His love, rather than people pleasing. Great read to bring to conference!
"Rejection steals the best of who I am by reinforcing the worst of what's been said to me. "

"The mind feasts on what it focuses on."

"Pain is the invitation for God to move in and replace our faltering strength with His."

  • I also loved this webcast if rejection is something you are struggling with in your writing life. It includes Lysa's thoughts on belonging and also features Tim Tebow, who is no stranger to being uninvited and also has a release upcoming on this topic. 
  • An oldie but goodie from Chuck Sambuchino of Writer's Digest on How to Prepare for a Writer's Conference.  
  • Meetings with editors have you down? Carrie Fancett Pagels explores why you might want to consider hybrid publishing on Seekerville this week. 
  • As a CAROL award nominee, Pepper knows a thing or two about pitching. If you missed it the first time around, this post is a great choice for conference prep
  •  Looking for some great one sheet examples? Look no further than Angie Dicken, our fantastic local one sheet creator. Check a few out here
  • Are you a conference newbie? Whether it's your first time or seventeenth time, check out the pre-conference blog link-up hosted by Laurie to meet some friendly faces.
  • Wondering what to pack? Check out this list from Oregon Christian Writers for conference success.  
  • Is your story even ready to pitch? Check out this post from Susan May Warren.
  • Understand Your Dramatic question: If you are ready to pitch here is a great video with tips from My Book Therapy.    
  • Just for fun: Writer's Guide to Nashville.

“I think of Nashville as a very natural place. We’re easy going, we are ourselves. There isn’t a lot of preening or trying to impress. So it’s an easy place to just be and that is a good state from which to write.” —Ann Patchett, author of State of Wonder

 




  

7 comments:

kaybee said...

Good morning Julia,
A helpful post. I've made about every conference error there is, so the next one should be the charm. I'm only kidding, we're Christian writers and we don't believe in "charms."
Oh I wish I could be there, maybe next year.
I am so glad the Alley Cats post on Friday, which Seekers do not. It means I can go six days a week with some kind of writing touch-point! Support is so necessary. Like Alcoholics Anonymous only in reverse. We quit if we DON'T get the support.
Have a good day if I don't check in again,
Kathy Bailey
Next year at ACFW!

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

Kathy,
You are definitely in an understanding company. I suppose making errors is a sign of trying, eh? No matter how silly we look? :)
As for support, I agree with you totally. I think I would melt without the friendship of those who understand the writing world.

For those who haven't ready Amy's book, the one that is free today (check out Julia's link above) I can say this is a book WELL worth your opening the cover. After than, you'll need no encouragement. The story will scoop you into the pages. A definite must read.

Angie Dicken said...

Such great pics...and posts for conference.
I agree with you both, Mary and Kathy! I just had a writing-related meltdown with some of my nearest and dearest writer-friends...where would I be without them??

Krista Phillips said...

I once climbed a tree with the fabulous Jessica Nelson at conference in Denver. That isn't a conference fail though. It was a pretty epic conference moment! LOL

Karen @ a house full of sunshine said...

You nailed this post, Julia! Wish I was going so I could put all those tips into practice.

My funny conference story (in hindsight only!!) is when I randomly ended up having a casual chat with my dream editor (NOT at a pitching session, just while walking between classes, so I had zero intentions of pitching anything to him in that setting) and mid-conversation he asked "so what are you writing?" I was so not expecting it that I actually started hyperventilating as I gave the most bungled attempt at a pitch you have EVER heard! The poor guy... I actually had to go apologise to him later, I felt so bad for freaking out on him like that in the middle of a perfectly normal conversation. I mean, I basically stopped breathing. It must've been alarming...

Karen @ a house full of sunshine said...

I believe I've seen a photo of that!!

Karen @ a house full of sunshine said...

Alcoholics Anonymous in reverse - I LOVE that!