Monday, May 23, 2016

What is Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writer's Conference


So…are you guys gearing up for writing conference season? I am…and it feels like it’s going to be a doozy!

In fact, today I’m attending the Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writer’s Conference. I can’t go for the entire conference this year, but since it’s taking place 30 minutes from my house I’m popping in today and tomorrow to hang out with other writers, glean from the great teaching, and…of course….dress in costume!!

If you’ve never been to the BRMCWC, I’d like to give you a few tips- and hopefully encourage you to visit next year, or even in the fall when they have their annual Novel Writing Retreat.

BRMCWC is held at Ridgecrest Conference Center in Black Mountain, North Carolina. About 30 minutes east of Asheville, NC and about 2 hours northwest of Charlotte. It’s nestled in the mountains and the entire atmosphere sets the stage for your conference experience.

Blue Ridge offers some of the quality classes you’re used to receiving at the ACFW or Mount Hermon conference but at a smaller scale. The
conference center has rooms scattered throughout their buildings, surrounding a beautiful natural area where author photos can be taken, author videos made, one can take walks, or just enjoy sitting by the quiet stream.

Meals are offered in the dining hall, and like many other Christian conferences, worship time and devotionals are offered each day.

BRMCWC was my first writer’s conference over 6 years ago and it was a fantastic place to start. The smaller size and relaxed atmosphere created plenty of opportunities to meet other writers and talk with editors/agents. It’s a wonderful place for writers, especially new authors, to learn more about the craft from knowledgeable teachers- as well as a place to meet agents!

 I had the wonderful opportunity to meet my first agent here!

In the past, BRMCWC has had presenters such as Rachel Hauck, Susan May Warren, Beth Vogt, Ramona Richards, Eva Marie Everson, Alton Gansky, Chip MacGregor, Steve Laube, Diann Mills, Deborah Raney, Steven James, and so many more. This year, Steven James is back, and I can’t wait to take my oldest son to his classes J

As you can see from the pics, it’s a beautiful place with some great people. I even had my author video created here last year with LDP Media.

I also won my first major writing award at this conference.  In 2010 I won The Foundation Award for my favorite novel, Just the Way You Are.
*****************************************************************************


Pepper Basham is an award-winning author who writes romance peppered with grace and humor. She currently resides in the lovely mountains of Asheville, NC where she is the mom of 5 great kids, speech-pathologist to about fifty more, lover of chocolate, jazz, and Jesus. Her debut historical novel, The Thorn Bearer, released in May 2015 and has garnered awards such as Reader's Favorites Award, finalist in the Grace Awards, and shortlisted for the Inspy Awards. Her second historical novel, The Thorn Keeper, released in Feb 2016 and her first contemporary romance, A Twist of Faith, released in April 2016 with a 4 star review from Romantic Times. You can get to know Pepper on her website, www.pepperdbasham.com, on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, or Instagram.

6 comments:

Joanne Sher said...

LOVE Blue Ridge CWC. It literally changed my writing life when I went three years ago (and not just because I got to meet Pepper!! LOL). It is beautiful, cozy, wonderful, inspiring, challenging, and anointed. Would love to go back some day. It was a conference to remember. Hope you are having a fabulous time, Pepper!

Dana MIchael said...

How fun?! I remember going to Camp Ridgecrest as a teenager with my church. You just brought back happy memories. Looks like ya'll had an amazing time. :)

Anonymous said...

I SO need to get here someday! =D

Anonymous said...

Joanne,
That was such a fun visit!! I loved getting to meet you - and you're right, Ridgecrest and BRMCWC does set such a warm, cozy atomosphere

Anonymous said...

Dana,
I went today and will go back tomorrow for a 1/2 day. It's all I could do this year, but I' glad for the opportunity :-) The people here are always so kind.

Anonymous said...

Meghan,
It's always great to meet with other authors! In the Blue Ridge Mountains? Well, that just makes it sweeter ;-)