Monday, November 30, 2015

A Writer's Sabbatical

This post is originally from my personal blog, but I thought it might be a great fit for this week.

If you checked out my post on the Writer's Alley a couple Mondays ago (click below), you'll understand a bit
more about my self-proclaimed writer sabbatical. It's been about a couple weeks now since I put my characters on hold. And I've had two rejections in that time, which funny enough, hardly affected my emotions like they used to...my writer's brain has literally checked out for the time being.

There are three descriptives that might best illustrate my break so far:


Lately, I have gone to sleep around 10pm. That is CRAZY for me. I am usually striving into the wee 
hours, trying to get word count or build my social media presence. But since I've "checked out" I've heard my body more clearly, it's tired and ready for sleep. And I let it. This is the greatest word I will attribute to my writer's break: REST.
...Not that being a writer causes me to not live abundantly. Actually, I have found great joy in living and writing and enjoying the blessing of story. But, my own self-destruct of unbalanced effort between writing and living made the writing a drain. I have actually enjoyed investing my whole attention to my kids, my friends, my free time. There is no nagging of the story in the back of my mind telling me I really need to get to work. I can't believe what a slave driver I was. LOL. I really did chain myself to publication, and would not allow myself to enjoy the simple leisures of life like a board game, a T.V. series, a song. Can I even say... cleaning my house? Yeah, weird. But seriously, when I let something consume me so thoroughly, I turn my back on so much living. I didn't realize how much I neglected my desire to LIVE ABUNDANTLY. 


The other day, I considered my next step once this break is over. And, if I had considered it before, it would have driven my itch, my anxiousness to get it done, my hurry to press "send". But now, in this state of rest, it seems like a good goal for a time in the near future. Not something to waste mental energy on right now. Just something to ponder until my writer's heart is back in full beat, and my mental energy is restored. This break is most definitely feeding my need to RESTORE.

I have no idea what my segment will be on Fridays since NaNoWriMo is out the window. If you have any suggests, I'd love to hear. I might just do something different each time. For now, I am going to get ready to host a neighborhood girl's night. Have a great weekend!

Here's my Writer's Alley post: What if I Am The Faint of Heart?
*******************************************************************************************
Angie Dicken is a full-time mom and lives in the Midwest with her Texas Aggie sweetheart. An ACFW member since 2010, she has written six historical novels and is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray of The Steve Laube Agency. Angie also spends her time designing one-sheets and drinking good coffee with great friends. Check her personal blog at angiedicken.blogspot.com and connect at:
Twitter: @angiedicken




4 comments:

kaybee said...

Angie, I have done this from time to time and you will come back RECHARGED. Living a full life makes us better writers.
Kathy Bailey

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Angie, I'm so glad you're finding refreshment. It is so hard to keep real life and writing life balanced. Taking a break is such a great way to recalibrate our lives. I hope you truly do live abundantly, especially during this holiday season. :)

Unknown said...

Hi, Angie! I'm taking a break, too. We all need it. How can we overflow if we are running on empty, right? But keep up the good work on social media if you can. One Facebook post a day and three tweets? Shares and retweets count :)

Angie Dicken said...

Thanks, gals, for stopping by! I think the holiday season is a perfect time for a break...if there is no contract in sight, of course! :)
Patricia, I have given social media a break too...probably should try to check in there a little more often! :)
Have a blessed week!