Thursday, October 15, 2015

What do authors REALLY do on release day?

http://amzn.to/1ZDqJkG
This is a FUN week for me!! My FIRST ever boxed set released on Tuesday! I teamed up with 7 other authors to put together a Christmas set of novellas (I chatted about that trend in my last post!)

Release days are an interesting thing! There is SO much hype and emphasis going up to the day -- but what happens on the ACTUAL day?!?

I thought for fun, I'd ask a few published authors how they typically spend their release days!

My question:

What does your release day look like? Do you have a party, do you sit around in your pajamas and eat chocolate all day as a reward? Do you go out to a special celebratory dinner? Or do you spend all day on Facebook/twitter???

Answers: 

Kristy Cambron - Author of The Butterfly and the Violin - 
I don't check sales rankings that closely on launch day. I monitor regularly, but don't spend too much time watching. First book, I had to work 12 hours at my other job, so kind of lost that day. LOL! With my second book, I had an awards luncheon and spent time with friends at a coffee shop. Next book... Not sure! Guess I'll be wherever God wants me that day. It's a blessing of a day for sure and I love we get each one!

Carol Moncado - Author of Hand-Me-Down Princess
I obsessively check the KDP Dashboard while sitting around in my PJs pretending to work on the next book. Unless I'm at work. Then I'm dressed in nice jeans and a nice shirt and check as often as I can.

Janice Thompson - Author of Every Bride Needs a Groom
What she (Carol) said ^^^

(pretty sure Janice didn't think I'd use her ditto comment --- but little did she know.... :-) :-))

Pepper Basham (RESIDENT ALLEYCAT!) - Author of The Thornbearer
I work on release days HOWEVER, I make sure I am taken to my fav restaurant for dinner so I can have my fav meal and dessert (mass amounts of chocolate). I don't check sales that day much because I'm usually at work, but I celebrate with my AlleyCats - who also help promote the release and make me feel special!

Reba Stanley - Author of A Promise Kept
I exhale....then breathe in the air of sweet relief. And when that fifteen minutes is over, I am busy scheduling and marketing. I'm always looking for new ways and places to market my books.

Jody Hedlund - Author of Luther and Katharina
Release day is always a special day! On a personal level, it's the culmination of a lot of hard work, and I enjoy being able to have the moment of celebrating the accomplishment. But on another level the release day is a way to officially launch the book to readers and start lots of buzz about the book. So, while I don't have a party in literal sense, I do try celebrate online with my readers. Every release is a little different but usually involves giveaways and chatting with readers on Facebook. For example last week with the release of Luther and Katharina I did a giveaway each day on FB and had trivia questions about Katharina and graphics with Martin Luther quotes that readers could share. (I may or may not eat extra chocolate cake to celebrate too!)


For me?

Let's see. I spent this release day on Facebook WAY too much. I splurged and went and got me some lunch instead of eating a sandwich at home. (I KNOW! WILD GIRL!) I may-or-may-not have sneaked a few pieces of candy out of the for-halloween-only candy stash. I stressed a little too much so ended up with a headache and so--- TOOK A NAP --- on release day. I think that was God's way of trying to get me to give it to him.

Which was fantastic because when I woke up this morning I was greeted with THIS!

http://amzn.to/1ZDqJkG

Yup. That little ol' novella collection made #1 best seller of Christian fiction collections on Amazon -- and in the top 500's of the OVERALL Kindle-paid list! My FIRST book to get that coveted little orange flag under its reviews and to break top 1000 on Kindle!

No clue how long it will stay that way.

But I'm calling this release day a rousing success and giving ALL thanks to God!

I'd LOVE for you to go check out the collection if you get a chance! It's only 99 cents!!

Let's Chat!!

PUBBED authors -- I'd love for you to share how YOU spend your release days!!!
PREPUBBED authors -- Close your eyes and imagine your PERFECT release day. Come on. I KNOW you wanna dream about it. What does it look like??

*************************************************
Krista is a follower of Jesus, a wife, a mother, and author of Sandwich, With a Side of Romance, A Side of Faith and A Side of Hope. She blogs about finding JOY in the journey of LIFE at http://www.kristaphillips.com. She is represented by Sarah Freese of Wordserve Literary.

6 comments:

Robin E. Mason said...

because the whole gist of my debut novel last year, and "synchronicity" in timing, my release date came in October so i set it for the 31st, and fully played off of wearing a masks. I decided (at the last minute) to do a blog blitz EVERY.SINGLE.DAY of the month (only missed one day). i also hosted a release party on facebook, and had three live events. i did some readings, too, which was lots of fun.

i have planned ahead this year, and have my blog blitz schedule set, my second novel will release 30 november - i will be having a facebook event - ya'll are all invited!!! - as well as a book signing event later in the week.

Rachelle Rea Cobb said...

Happy Release Day, Krista! It's also my second novel's release day today, and I also am at work. This second release day looks similar to my first in that respect; both days I got to go to work and snatch random moments to check in on what's happening on social media. :) Such a happy day!

Which translates to some celebratory chocolate :)

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

I think I'll be finding out very soon :)

Krista Phillips said...

Robin, GOOD FOR YOU planning a head!!! I try to plan ahead, too... but it doesn't always work out that way, LOL.

Krista Phillips said...

Rachelle, HAPPY RELEASE DAY TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally think release days call for a vacation day myself, muhahaha!!

And DEFINITELY celebratory chocolate!!

Krista Phillips said...

Amy, your release day is going to be epically awesome, I just know it!