Monday, September 22, 2014

Why I Don't Write...But It's Why I Should.

By Ambro on freedigitalphotos.net

Why I don't write:

1. Every time I open my WIP, I remember the last rejection, the sting of those critical words, and wonder, can I ever prove myself better than that?

2. It hurts too much to write, because I fill with hope in the newness, and fear the pain of being dashed again.

3 The stuff of Life consumes my brain, and while I try to focus on the 16th century setting of my novel, my brain just fills with the 16 things I need to get done on my to-do list.

4. My heart's not right with God. It's just so beat up and bruised, how can I take pleasure in something as frivolous as writing?

5. I allow myself to believe the lies above, and forget...

THAT...is why I SHOULD write!

IT is the rejection and critical words that fuel my attempt to grow and write better.

It is the hope that grows, even if it seems dashed for a moment, it is rampant always with ever forward step. I haven't found hopelessness to take residence for very long, so why would I allow it to stop me from my dream?

Life will always throw a million things to do. It is the downfall of this busy culture. Taking time to pursue the stuff of my heart won't put a dent in all the time I spend in the busyness of life.

I find healing in writing. It's a gift from God, so why would He put stipulations on it? Only when I am happy and content with my walk can I write? No. It is when my heart hurts most that my writing shines with truth and emotion.

So what stops you from writing? Have you ever thought maybe that stumbling block is actually a place to dive off into your writing instead?

#################################################################################

Angie Dicken is a full-time mom and lives in the Midwest with her Texas Aggie sweetheart. An ACFW member since 2010, she has written five Historical Romance novels, has an Historical underway, and is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray of The Steve Laube Agency. Angie also spends her time designing one sheets, selling Jamberry Nail Wraps, and drinking good coffee with great friends. Check out her author page at www.facebook.com/dicken.angie and her personal blog at angiedicken.blogspot.com 


3 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks Angie for this post, it's very timely for me. I received a rejection letter for a program I wanted to get into. The letter came a few days before a writer's conference I was scheduled to attend. So I was a little down.

It took a lot of self talk and praying for me to realize things happen in God's timing and not mine.
I must have been off writing somewhere the day God gave out patience because I missed out on that virtue (-:

Thanks again for posting.

Angie Dicken said...

Hi Angela! Thanks for commenting! I am sorry about the rejection, but you are right, things happen in God's timing, not ours. I look back over the years and see all the rejections and can see how far they have brought me...when I am in the mood to do so! HA!

Yes, patience is definitely something to be had in this writing journey. I wonder if it is part of the purpose of this calling??

Have a great day!!

Aritha Vermeulen said...

Thanks for this great post! It helps me.