Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Beauty of Words

I've always loved words. I have loved books since I was a teeny little girl. I love to read and am always amazed when writers string ordinary words together in a way that sings to my soul. There is beauty in the structure and flow of words.

But I love the beauty of the artistic written word.

My father is an artist and author. While I was growing up, his main source of income was from art. He designed book covers, entered art fairs, and did calligraphy for huge companies like IBM (This was before computers could do calligraphy for award certificates!). I loved to watch his pen glide across the paper, forming a letter so fantastic it fair took my breath away.

So I begged my dad to teach me. And teach me he did. I learned the basics and then I had to practice. And practice. And practice.

Then I started using my skills to make gifts for friends. Handmade cards. Canvases. Fun stuff. I branched out into more freestyle lettering; trying different fonts, sometimes making up my own. And you know what? It became more and more fun! Experimenting with different mediums, trying different tools...it has made the journey exciting in ways I never dreamed.

I think writing for publication is a similar journey. We learn the rules of writing. We learn the structure of a story. We write and write. We practice and practice. We write book after book, learning new things with each and every one. And then we loosen up and begin to break the rules. We allow the passion...our very soul to emerge within our stories. They begin to breathe life and become a part of who we are.


Writing is an exciting journey. Spinning tales, weaving stories... it's the beauty of words for the world to see.

If you are a writer, what is it about writing that nurtures your soul? Are you creative in other areas? 

****************************************************************************

This post is brought to you by
 Sherrinda Ketchersid

Sherrinda is a minister's wife and mother to three giant sons and one gorgeous daughter. A born and bred Texan, she writes historical romance filled with fun, faith, and forever love.

8 comments:

Jeanne Takenaka said...

I love words too. Word art, which has become so popular, speaks to my heart. It's cool that you have a love of words that your father instilled.

I love writing a good scene. Watching words fly onto the page and seeing a good story come together minister to my soul. I love that first draft. :)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Jeanne, I love the first draft too! There is something so exciting and freeing to just let the words fly across the page. It's that 2nd and 3rd draft that bogs me down. I wish I had the money to hire someone to take my first draft and turn it into something fabulous!!! :)

Julia M. Reffner said...

I love your word art, Sherrinda! Your father definitely instilled a great legacy in you :).

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Thank you, Julia. It is a HUGE joy to create with words, whether it is on a canvas or on the computer.

Ashley Clark said...

Julia, I was thinking the same thing! It really is like art! I'm super impressed!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Aw, Ashley, you are sweet. I think when we are thru the eyes of God's Spirit it is easier to see beauty in the mundane. I like beautiful things!!!

Karen @ a house full of sunshine said...

You are one talented lady, Sherrinda! I just love the examples you showed us and the way you celebrate the beauty of words through both writing and art.

I think it's like how for a book-lover, books themselves become objects of beauty. The smell of the pages, the binding of an old book, the gilt lettering on the spine - they all speak to us, in a way that's linked to and yet different from the love of the story itself. For so many of us, words create beautiful visual images in our minds, and I love that for you, the words themselves have become objects of physical beauty.

What can I say - you are amazing. You've managed to link together two of my favourite loves of all time - words and art! Love it. :)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Yes, Karen! Even book covers are a thing of beauty...art in itself. And coming from an artist such as yourself, your praise means the world! Thank you, ma'am!