Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Chocolate Cafe with Missy Tippens

Sweet Tea and great romance comes along with our featured author today - Missy Tippens. Not only is she an award winning author, a pastor's wife, and mom of three, but she's also one of the fabulous Seekers of Seekerville.

Today Missy joins us to talk about memorable characters. Come sit a spell in the lovely sunshine of our Cafe, nestled down one of the cobblestone streets of our Alley. We're serving Raspberry Swirl Sweet-Rolls and hot beverage of your choice. Of course, you can always have an extra swirl of chocolate placed on the roll.

Okay, Missy - tell us about one of your most memorable characters.

I love Lilly from Georgia Sweethearts because she's strong, loyal and takes care of others.
The hero Daniel falls for her because, despite her awful childhood, she still reaches out to help others. She stands up for a group of troubled teens, even when it's not in her best interest. And also defends Daniel, which touches a need in him.
I like to make sure the characters fill a need in each other that no one else can fill.

FANTASTIC tip here, Missy -and one we often do not spend enough time pondering in our writing. I love doing this in mine - figuring out what the basic need is for my characters, particularly what their spiritual needs are.

Do you have a tip to share with other writers on creating memorable characters?

Find your character's worst fear (something in the past has wounded him and left him with this fear), and then force him to face it at the end of the book.

And we have character arc RIGHT HERE! Thanks for being with us today, Missy.

Quotes for the Day:

“Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but for the heart to conquer it. “ – Rabindranath Tagore

"It’s OKAY to be scared. Being scared means you’re about to do something really, really brave.” Author Mandy Hale

23 comments:

Karen @ a house full of sunshine said...

Welcome, Missy! Love your tip about having your character face his/ her worst fear at the end. Way to bring the character arc to a fitting climax!

Missy Tippens said...

Thanks for having me! It's good to hang out with y'all today.

I hope you all had a good Valentine's Day. My in-laws came to visit so we had a nice dinner for four last night.

Anonymous said...

I like to make sure the characters fill a need in each other that no one else can fill.


PURE GENIUS. Going on an index card NOW!!!!

Pepper said...

It's brilliant, Missy. It makes such a difference when I think about pairing my h/h that way.
Love it!

And Missy- you know since we're a sort-of 'daughter' blog to Seekerville, we LOVE boasting about the fabulous ladies over there.

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Hi Missy!!! Loved what you said about having a need that only the other can fill....that was brilliant! One of those "aha" moments. :)

p.s. My hubby took me to eat Italian last night, then took me to see The Monuments Men. (my choice...because I always make him see chick flicks)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Hi Missy!!! Loved what you said about having a need that only the other can fill....that was brilliant! One of those "aha" moments. :)

p.s. My hubby took me to eat Italian last night, then took me to see The Monuments Men. (my choice...because I always make him see chick flicks)

Missy Tippens said...

Tina and all, I learned that tip somewhere but can't remember where! It's from one of the many online classes I've taken. Possibly from Shirley Jump or Laurie Schnebly Campbell.

Pepper said...

I think it's from a Dr. Seuss quote ;-)

Missy Tippens said...

Pepper, I appreciate you having me!

Missy Tippens said...

Sherrinda, I heard the movie was great. What did you think?

Pepper said...

Missy,
it's ALWAYS a pleasure to have any of the Seekers. You guys are such encouragements to so many, we love being able to encourage you all a little :-)

Missy Tippens said...

Pepper, LOL on the Seuss quote, :)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Missy, it was a good movie...enjoyable, but it was enjoyable as a documentary. That's what it felt like to me, anyway. There was not much of an engaging plot and I kept waiting for the big climax...and kept waiting. ;)

Casey said...

What a fantastic tip and one I hadn't really thought of before! Thank you so much for sharing your sweet Southern voice on the Alley today, Missy! :)

Myra Johnson said...

Loved this book, Missy! And such a good thing to remember--making sure the characters fill a need in each other that no one else can fill.

Ashley Clark said...

I definitely want to read this one! I love stories set in Georgia! Missy, thank you for being our guest today! :)

Jackie Smith said...

I love stories set in Georgia, too.....Ashley! I live in GA.
Missy's books are always great reading!

Missy Tippens said...

Sherrinda, I think it's tough for writers to read and to watch movies. I'm always hollering out what I think should happen and my kids get really frustrated. :)

Missy Tippens said...

Casey, I'm glad to get the chance to be here.

Myra, thank you!

Ashley, I hope you enjoy it. I had so much fun writing it

Jackie, you're so sweet. Thanks for reading!

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

I absolutely loved reading this book of yours Missy!
It definitely is a sweet tea story.

And I like this quote by Mandy Hale. I need to think back and see how many times I really was scared and followed up with something brave. I don't think we normally think about that. Think of all the great story fodder there is in this one quote.

Faithful Acres Books said...

I love your book, facing our fears is a very hard thing to do. But I can say it usually brings great rewards. I think having a character go through something or having something happen in thier lives is a great way to make them memorable.
Linda Finn
faithfulacresbooks@gmail.com

Missy Tippens said...

Great quote, Mary. You're right about story ideas. :)

That's a good point, Linda. The characters who really stick with me long after the story have usually been the ones to face huge obstacles and overcome.

Faithful Acres Books said...

thank you Missy, I so love it when authors come back to comment and share thoughts.
Blessings
Linda
faithfulacresbooks@gmail.com