Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Being A Grateful Writer

Photo by Felixco, Inc.
freedigitalphotos.net
I am recovering from a glorious weekend spent in Houston and Irving, Texas, attending the wedding showers of my daughter and her fiance at their home churches. It's hard to explain the feeling of gratitude and love for a group of believers who are such special family members of faith. The community of believers is a special one and we so often forget to be thankful for the beauty of those relationships. It is easy to take your family for granted, isn't it?

It is the same way in the writing community.

Writers are a rare breed. They don't think like others...aka, they day dream all the time!  They don't act like others...aka, they stare off into space day dreaming all the time! And occasionally they don't smell like others...aka, lack of showering due to deadline. (snort) Just like Christians, writers are like aliens in a foreign land and we tend to seek each other out, banding together, unified in purpose.

The writing community is such a gracious community. They fall over backwards to read your WIP and mark it up in red ink. They love to encourage you after you receive low scores in a writing contest. They get excited to brainstorm new ideas and help each other in the plotting process. Writers are AWESOME in their ability to further each other along in the journey.

But are you a gracious writer?

Do you say thank you? Do you go out of your way to do for others what they do for you? Do you seek out to bless another writer on a down day? Writers can get down really easy and don't always share with others their fears or frustrations. Take time to ask your writer friends how they are doing....I mean REALLY doing! Dig deep and bless someone's day.

Are you a grateful writer?

 ****************************************************************************
This post is brought to you by
 Sherrinda Ketchersid

Sherrinda is a minister's wife and mother to three giant sons and one gorgeous daughter. A born and bred Texan, she writes historical romance filled with fun, faith, and forever love.

10 comments:

Julia M. Reffner said...

I love this thought of being thankful for the other writers God has put in my life. I need to do this more often, both to them and to God.

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Great thoughts, Sherrinda. I definitely have writers I'm thankful for, and I like the idea of seeing how some of them are REALLY doing.

Pepper said...

Wonderful reminder, Sherrinda!
I'm so thankful for my writer-buddies, especially the AlleyCats. And I certainly hope I show my gratitude by giving back with the same selflessness as they've given to me. It's truly remarkable to be a part of a large community of writers who are so encouraging!

Susan Anne Mason said...

Thanks for this great reminder, Sherrinda!

This is a good time of year to do it, too!

I am very thankful for all the wonderful writers I have met and who have helped me along the way. And I hope to help others as well.

Which reminds me to get back to judging the First Impression contest! (Is anyone else having issues with the scoresheet?)

Cheers,
Sue

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Julia, I agree! Too often I get bogged in my busy life and just don't take the time I need to!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Jeanne, if you are like me, you usually just say you are fine...even when you might be struggling with something. It is good to really ask how someone is doing, I think, so that we can encourage when needed.

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

You are always so gracious, Pepper, and are quick to reciprocate on any help given. ;) Thank YOU!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Susan, I am totally sure you are awesome at being a gracious writer. And while I'm not judging contests this year, I have in the past and it is NOT easy!!! Oh my, I hope you get to read some awesome stories!

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

Sherrinda,
How timely and what wonderful words. With November serving as our month of Thanksgiving we often forget the very ones who help us in our writing endeavors.
So let me first start with you.
Sherrinda,
You are a treasure, a God-send to me. You've helped me figure out and tweak techy things and as a result my work looks good. I am SO glad God let my path be near yours.
Blessings
Mary

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Aww, Mary, you are sweet. I am always happy to help you, girl! I confess that I usually learn something in the process too! And I am so thankful you are an Alley Cat and I get to chat with you whenever I want! ;)