Saturday, November 23, 2013

A Chocolate Cafe Chat with Author Denise Hunter

I fell in love with Denise Hunter's stories when I met Lucas Wright in The Convenient Groom. His faithful love for Kate, despite her apparent indifference toward him, is a beautiful allegory of Christ's care and drawing toward us.

And she's fantastic at writing heroes who adore the heroines! Who wouldn't love that, right?

Well, pull up a chair and join Denise and The Alley Cats for some morning mocha and a chocolate
chip- cream cheese danish :-)

Denise, 
Who is a character you've enjoyed writing and why?

Seth Murphy from "A December Bride". This is a first-time-in-print e-novella that releases Nov. 26. It's a Chapel Springs novella following Layla from "Barefoot Summer".

I love Seth Murphy because he's completely (though secretly) smitten with Layla, and he's willing to patiently woo her. What's not to love about having a guy head over heels for you? A guy who's willing to wait however long it takes to win you? Deep down I think we all want to be loved like that. It was fun writing a hero who
embodies that blend of passion and patience. 

Thanks, Denise. Creating characters, especially memorable heroes, is somewhat magical. Denise's are no exception.

 I found this quote to go along with the thought.

“Stories have a power, a magic all their own. Consider the fact that the actions, thoughts and feelings of people who have no existence in reality can make you laugh, make you weep. That's the art and that's the magic.” 

― Fledge Story Witch of the Ten Nations Fair Tailspin by Denise Rossetti

Do you have a character (or characters) you've created and someone felt the 'magic' of it? Or even better, have you noticed God's work in the creation of certain characters?

9 comments:

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

I love the cover of your book, Denise. It looks like a dreamy read for a crisp December night by the the fireplace.

Jeanne Takenaka said...

How fun to read a little about the hero of this book. I look forward to reading it.

In my latest WIP, my beta reader actually loved my subplot character. After she told me that, I realized I needed to round out my MC's more. :)

I've had some characters just walk onto the page, unannounced, fully alive. I love it when that happens!
One will be the hero for my next book. :)

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

Ooo, I can't wait to read it!! :)

Denise Hunter said...

Thanks for letting me drop by, Pepper! I love the cover too, Mary!

Deborah Raney said...

Hey girl, he's CUTE! ;) Can't wait to read your story! I'm so excited about this series!

Pepper said...

He sounds like a great hero, Denise!!

Jeanne, I totally understand how characters jump into the story unannounced...and alive! I bet there is a story coming for just that character in the future, right? :-)

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

That has happened to me too, Jeanne... sometimes those secondary men steal the show, don't they? That scene stealer of mine now has his own story... by far my finest hero! Enjoying writing that one ;)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Mmmm, love the cover and I am looking forward to reading this novella! And yes, I have written an secondary character that I fell in love with. I have plans for his future, to be sure. :)

Ashley Clark said...

Denise, we're thrilled to have you on the Alley today. Can't wait to read that novella!

Deb, you are hilarious!