Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Inundated With Ideas


Frank Peretti and Mary Vee
In all truthfulness, I am dog tired but bursting with information to share.

I will spare you by not spilling this wealth of wisdom presented to us at the ACFW conference in one post. (Go ahead and sigh a thank you :) ) I don't know that I could write a lengthly cohesive theme until I catch up on my sleep, anyway.

Like a pinball machine, I changed direction for this post several times before asking God to help me land on the one ideal He wanted me to share with you today. I am so excited to read the comments and find out if this little kernel of truth helped.

During one of the meals, a friend sitting at my table pointed out Frank Peretti. Yes. Frank Peretti. My kids have read all his books. In fact, if we were in a store at this very moment, my children would each choose one of his books for their purchase. Unfortunately, they'd finish reading the book before we reached the house.

I set a goal. I wanted a picture of Frank Peretti to show my children.

I waited a long time to speak with him, enjoying the conversation he had with others. He  was personable and tailored his conversation to each person.

At long last, I had a turn. I rambled something about my children enjoying his books, but then thought, he'd probably wonder if I enjoyed them too.

If you didn't know, Frank Peretti writes scary books. The kind that are best not read when you are home...alone...on a dark and stormy night....when the house is creaking...and the back door blows open slamming against the wall.

I did read one of his books for adults. After three pages I slammed the book shut, knowing the story would creep into my dreams. My curiosity forced me to peel open the cover and turn to the next page. 

A half page later, I stopped. Turned to the last page and saw that the character survived. Relieved, I turned to page four and continued reading.

I turned to Frank and told him about my experience. "I love reading your books; I just need to read the last page first to know all ends well."

He rubbed his beard and said, "Then I will think of you when I write my next book."

My thought at the beginning of the post centered around our need to consider our audience to the point of modifying our work if we can.

Now that I'm at the end of the post, a thought occurred to me...what if he meant he wouldn't reveal the character's outcome on the last page in his next book? What if--my heart is pulsating--what if the answer is hidden in the prior pages. 

No!!!! I'm hiding under my blankets.

My teen daughter proofed the post and said, "So the point of this post is to never give Frank Peretti ammunition"

Not exactly....



***********************************************************
photo by Mary Vee

This blog post is by Mary Vee

Mary has moved to Michigan with her husband, closer to her three college kids. She misses the mountains of Montana, but loves seeing family more often. She writes contemporary and romance Christian fiction and loves to pen missionary and Bible adventure stories on her ministry blog, God Loves Kids.


Visit Mary at her website and her ministry blog to families: God Loves Kids. Or chat on Facebook or Twitter

6 comments:

Jeanne Takenaka said...

I LOVED this Mary. And, I'm so glad you got that picture! Now, I'm kind of wishing I'd stood in line to get a photo with Frank Peretti. That would have been memorable!

BTW, I LOVED seeing you at ACFW, my friend!

I also never read the last page to see if the MC survives in his books—I let myself go along for the story's ride and pray I won't dream about those characters. But I like your point of considering the audience and writing an ending that satisfies. You also brought up a good thought in that you were already attached to the characters in the first few pages. Another sign of a great writer!

Stacey said...

Great post! Very funny. Frank Peretti sounds like a man with a great sense of humor and a kind spirit. Very much the type of person I would like to meet.

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

Jeanne,
I called my older daughter who is in Arizona and said, guess who I saw at the conference. Oh my goodness, when I said Frank Peretti's name she rambled for at least 30 minutes about the books (and how she walked off with our copies!)
Hah!
Yes! It is very easy to become attached to the characters in the first few pages of his books. sigh...he is an excellent author.

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

Stacy,
I would never have guessed a writer of scary books would be funny in person, but he is! If you have the opportunity, I recommend chatting with him. :)

Krista Phillips said...

HA HA HA HA HA! Loved this post, Mary!! You crack me up:-)

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

Alley Cats!