Friday, August 30, 2013

What’s for Brinner?

I don’t know about you but there are just those days, whether I’m on a time crunch or not, when the appeal of breakfast bursts the boundaries of morning tradition and I get a hankering for some Brinner – around here that’s what we call “Breakfast for Dinner.”

Mmm mmm! The nerve of those poor misguided folks who think delightful culinary treats like omelets, bacon, pancakes, waffles, fried potatoes, cinnamon rolls, and biscuits and gravy (to name a few of my favorites) are only allowed to dazzle in those dreadful morning hours.

But the problem is, most often to do breakfast up right, you are juggling three or more different preparations, orchestrating like a frantic maestro to get everything done and hot at the same time, and then you’re left with a huge mess in the kitchen.

This is my super simple solution to a delicious and painless Brinner that will satisfy every appetite. Mega healthy! And it’s pretty... so it's great for entertaining too!

Easy-Peasy Egg Soufflé

Prep Time: 5 mins

Cook Time: 20-30 mins










You will need:

A dozen eggs
1 package turkey bacon
1-2 green onion
12 grape tomatoes
Cheese of your choice.
12 Paper cups for cupcake tin.

Preheat your oven to 350. Line your cupcake tin with paper cups for easy clean-up, or coat with non-stick spray if you prefer.

To start out, curl a piece of turkey bacon around the inner edge of each cup (inside the paper liner.) After that I like to also use an extra piece, tear it in thirds, and pop the little scrap on the bottom of the cup so there is bacon on every side.

(Note: The turkey bacon is straight from the package. If you wish to use real bacon you have too cook it most of the way first and blot it, otherwise it will boil over with the grease and drown the egg.) I’m not a huge turkey bacon person but for this recipe it works best, and is really quite delicious and figure friendly. J

Then crack one egg in each cup, and poke the yolk with a fork. Top with your favorites. For this recipe I use a sprinkle of diced green onion, one (quartered) grape tomato, and a pinch of goat cheese, feta, or a shredded cheese mixture like Colby-Jack over each egg. Or mix-and-match if you like.

Salt and pepper those babies and pop 'em in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the egg is fully set.

Easy meal, easy clean. Happy family. And happy mama who can get back to work writing that masterpiece! Bon Appetite!

PS... If there are any left over, they are GREAT reheated the next morning!!!

I’m curious: What’s your favorite food for brinner?


4 comments:

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Amy, this looks delish!!!! I am going to have to try this. :)

For brinner we usually go uber simple with frozen waffles and bacon and some sort of fruit. But I also have a breakfast pizza recipe that's pretty tasty any time of day. :)

I'm going to try these.

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

Ooo, breakfast pizza??? Yum! You might have to share that recipe! :)

Unknown said...

YUM! I'm so hungry right now. I love breakfast for dinner...love breakfast pizza. And oh man, a good waffle...and fresh fruit...

Seriously, I need lunch right now...

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

Haha! I hear ya, Melissa! Talking about food always gets me in the mood. :)