Thursday, May 23, 2013

Tips to Treasure with Melanie Dickerson

Melanie Dickerson has made a name for herself in YA as well as with many adult readers. Her fantastic retellings of fairytales bring realistic heartwarming details to our childhood imaginations. (Not to mention her bookcovers are phenomenal!!!! Absolutely stellar)

So lets hear from Melanie.

Who has been one of your favorite heroines to read?
I would have to go with Elizabeth Bennet. She was fun and confident and Mr. Darcy’s perfect match. I also love India Opal from Because of Winn-Dixie. She was delightfully quirky, and she made me cry and wasn’t even trying.
Who has been one of your favorite heroines to write?
You sure know how to ask a hard question. But I do believe my favorite heroines to write are the two I’m writing now. One is Leorah
Gilchrist, the heroine in my second Regency, because she’s so confident and doesn’t care what anyone thinks of her, and she’s really sweet. The second one is Lady Margaretha from my Frog Prince story, my 5th Medieval fairy tale retelling, because she’s funny and doesn’t know it. She talks too much, and she misunderstands a lot of things. She’s just fun to write.
Sounds to me like the day is full of humor - so let's hear your take on it.
What is one humorous character you've enjoyed reading and what made them so funny or likeable? 

6 comments:

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Yay, Melanie! I'm so glad your writing is taking off! You seem to be having so much fun with it! And I have to say that I love people who are funny but don't know it...it makes them sooo much more funny! ;)

Karen @ a house full of sunshine said...

Oh, I agree, those covers are just sumptuous!!! Lovely to have you at the Alley, Melanie!

Melanie Dickerson said...

Hey, Sherrinda, my fellow Medievalist!!! :-) Still want to read the rest of that Medieval I judged in a contest long ago. :-)

It is funny that the more I write, the more lighthearted characters I tend to want to write about. Although The Captive Maiden isn't really lighthearted. It's Cinderella meets Ivanhoe. Although there is a fun friar in that story.

But my second Regency, I think, is going to be my funniest book yet. And I'm going for a lighthearted feel with my Frog Prince story too, so yeah. Fun and laughter seems to be the way I'm going with my heroines these days. With a lot of drama thrown in of course. LOL!

Melanie Dickerson said...

Hi, Karen!!! Thank you for having me here! (Thanks, Pepper!!!)
I can't take credit for the covers, but I LOVE them!!! Every time I see a new cover for one of my books, I just thank God. I am so blessed.

Susan Anne Mason said...

Hi Melanie,

Sorry to say I haven't read one of your books yet, but they're on my list!

I love the idea of funny, quirky heroines. A little humor thrown in to a romance is wonderful. Great tension relievers, too!

Can't think off hand of which heroines I found funny. Will have to mull it over!

Cheers,
Sue

Jennifer said...

I like the sidekick Lugg in Margery Allingham's Campion mysteries. He's an ex-burgular who has really dry humor :)