Monday, December 24, 2012

Engage Your Senses


"Mom." A gentle whisper nudges me. "Moooom." A long hollow moan like the winter wind outside my window. The little boy beside my bed grips my shoulder and his  warmth seeps through my sleeve. An urgent shake pulls me from my toasty comfort.

"It's morning." His voice is full and bold now. It's not just any morning, though.

 It's Christmas morning.

I rise and follow anxious thuds on creaking steps. The twinkle of Christmas lights prods the last of sleep from my eyes. The piney scent draws me close to the tree adorned with memories. My little boy is beside its boughs, a jumping bean whose energy is contagious--a reminiscent excitement that I once felt long ago.

My husband is ready with a steaming cup and I settle into my chair while we finally say, "Go!" And he tears into his gifts. The rips of crisp,vibrant paper, the squeal of delight while I savor the fullness of my hot drink on my tongue, the fullness of my heart in this moment of childish joy.

The babe in a manger is not forgotten, as our last present waits--a sparkly box with a red bow. Our simple, humble gift to our great and mighty Savior. We open it and read the deeds written on slips of paper. Each one is a symbolic love sacrifice we now give to the God who loves. And yet, it seems not enough. Just as the manger of hay and the lowly stable with its earthy smell of wood and livestock, surely seemed unfit for such a babe. But we revel in the Grace, the Hope, the knowing that nothing is enough, but our very hearts for Him.

And in this we rest and spend our blessed morning in a quiet celebration for the birth of a King.

###
In a handful of paragraphs, the senses are engaged, the scene captured by sound and touch, sight, taste, and smell. As writers, we are called to transport the reader into our stories to the fullest. As children of a creative, giving God, we remember best through the senses He has bestowed upon us.

In your next scene, remember those five senses, and see how your writing comes to life when you engage each one.

May this Christmas morning be one that delights your senses and gives you ample reason to praise the God whose great Gift surpasses any other we receive!

Merry Christmas!
***************************************************************************
Angie Dicken first began writing fiction as a creative outlet during the monotonous days of diapers and temper tantrums. She is passionate to impress God's love on women regardless of their background or belief. This desire serves as a catalyst for Angie's fiction, which weaves salvation and grace themes across cultures and social boundaries. Angie is an ACFW member and is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray of the Steve Laube Agency.


1 comment:

Julia M. Reffner said...

Angie,

I love this idea, what a wonderful way to celebrate what Jesus has done with your children and I hope to try this next year! Merry Christmas!