Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Awesome Gifts For Writers

Tis the season for gift giving, but what do you get for the writer in your life. Okay, those of you reading this are probably THE writer, but you can always print this post out and slip it under you loved ones' nose as a hint! Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and actually get one of these awesome gifts some day.

1. A writing magazine or journal, such as The Writer's Digest, Writer's Journal, and The Writer. Full of great articles on the writing craft and the road to publication, these magazines will inspire and instruct writer's everywhere.

2. Ergonomic Pens and Pencils! The Writing Pen Store has a good selection of strange ergonomic pens for those writers who like to write by hand. They also have a new selection of fun, colorful "normal" pens to choose from.
3. Writing Journals: The Celery Street has some really cool writing journals to choose from. From artistic to handmade, you will be able to find some unique journals for your writer.
4. Jewelry: There are some sites to browse for jewelry geared toward writers. Zazzle has a huge selection of necklaces for the writer...up to 700 necklaces! I also found an AWESOME charm bracelet that I just love on Etsy. You can get cute typewriter key necklaces on Etsy too. And check out this cool ring at Modcloth.
5. Manicure: Writer's don't spend time on themselves. They are holed up with their laptops and more often than not, they have short nails due to all that typing they do. A manicure will spruce up those fingers that fly over the keyboard.

6. Massage: While we are talking about pampering, let's not forget the massage. Many hours spent hunched over the computer create knots in a writer's shoulders, shooting pain up and down the spine. A nice, indulgent massage will rejuvenate those tight muscles like nothing else!

7. Bookshelves: Oh yes, a writer is a reader, and most writers have tons of books. Check out this INVISIBLE bookshelf at B&N! You can take a peek into some very creative bookcases HERE for inspiration.
Just a few fun ideas for the writer in your life. Of course, you can foward the blog post as a hint to your loved one! What would you add to the list?

11 comments:

Embrace said...

On my list there is always a writing craft book. This year it is GMC by Debra Dixon.
Love the massage idea though!

Beth K. Vogt said...

My husband gave me a beautiful vintage typewriter key bracelet several years ago. When it was lost due to a faulty clasp, he gave me another one -- this time with special keys that are our initials. I love it!

Joanne Sher said...

I agree - craft book. I gave my hubby the choice of The art of war for writers or character, dialogue and emotions (or something like that - can't remembver - it's in the Writer's Digest series taht plot and structure is in.

And YEAH - the massage is GREAT!

Pepper said...

Definitely like the massage idea.
I want one of those mugs that say - "Be nice to me or I'll put you in a book." :-)

Add Kindle to the list :-) for those of us who haven't made it all the way into techno era yet.

Great list, Sherrinda. Did I mention I really like the massage idea? ;-)

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Loved your list, Sherrinda. :) I should have looked for something like this three weeks ago. I'm pretty sure all the shopping for me is done this year. I actually asked for gift cards to one of my favorite clothing stores so I can buy clothing for upcoming conferences. I'll have to think ahead and ask for craft books next year. :)

Anonymous said...

Jodi....of course!! A writing book is always one of the best gifts for writers. I have a couple on my Amazon Wish List. :)

Anonymous said...

Beth, I love those bracelets. One of the links in the jewelry section is to one I found. I absolutely love it!

Anonymous said...

Joanne, The Art of War is one of my favorite writing books. Such succinct advice and wisdom compiled in the little book!

Anonymous said...

Pepper...a massage. Now that sounds heavenly, doesn't it? I bet you would greatly benefit at this time of year. You are one of the busiest people I know!

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

Oh,I am with Jeanne's idea. I wish this had been posted two weeks or more ago to give us time to hint. Remember to repeat this post next year!! Love your ideas. Thanks.

Casey said...

Conference tuition!

But we all know I've got to earn that instead. ;-)

Great list, Sherrinda! You can drop hints for me all you want with my family. ;)