Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Why I Write

Did anyone know that October 20 is the National Day on Writing? I found out about it on October 21. I totally missed it, did you?

According to The National Council of Teachers of English's website, this is why the National Day on Writing was started.


In light of the significance of writing in our national life, to draw attention to the remarkable variety of writing we engage in, and to help writers from all walks of life recognize how important writing is to their lives, NCTE established October 20 as The National Day on Writing.  The National Day on Writing
  • points to the importance of writing instruction and practice at every grade level, for every student and in every subject area from preschool through university (see The Genteel Unteaching of America’s Poor), 
  • emphasizes the lifelong process of learning to write and composing for different audiences, purposes, and occasions, and 
  • encourages Americans to write and enjoy and learn from the writing of others.


This is the age of variety. We write when we text, tweet, blog, Facebook, and spin our tales. There are so many different ways of using the written word to communicate and entertain. I think it's pretty brilliant that an act of Congress has made October 20 the National Day on Writing.

The theme for this year was Why I Write. You can search Twitter with the hashtag #whyiwrite and find some great tweets like these:
 Elizabeth Thompson I write because I'd burst if I didn't.  
 Julie BenjaminGrandCentralPub Writing to me is breathing to everyone else. 
 Melissa Hurst Because it makes me happy. 
 Nathan Bransford Everyone who writes does so because they want to nudge the world in a different direction. 
 Beth Cato Because I see a world of constant what-ifs and I-wonders. 
 So why do I write? My answer has everything to do with why I love to read. I read to escape in a different world, a romantic world, a world that ends happily with forever love. And that is why I write. I want to give someone an escape. I want to entertain. I want to lighten a heart. And if I can point someone to God's love and goodness, well, that would be the coolest thing ever.

So tell me....why do you write?

11 comments:

Sarah Forgrave said...

That's a big question, Sherrinda! For me, it's because I'm called and equipped to do it. And it doesn't hurt that it's fun too! :)

Joanne Sher said...

Oh boy - yes, a VERY big question, Sherrinda.

I write because I love it - and because I have stories to tell. And cuz I have to :)

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Wow, why do I write? I suppose saying, "To get to the other side," doesn't really fit here. :)

As a teen, I wrote poetry and I journaled to express what was in my heart. Writing my first story has a little to do with that, but more becauase I have a story to tell that I hope will encourage others. :)

Anonymous said...

Sarah, yes, it is a huge question! And holds so much depth, don't you think?

Joanne, I love it! You write because you have to. It just oozes out! :)

Jeanne!!! lolol You are funny! To get to the other side...sigh. :)
Like you, I want to encourage others.

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

I write because I like to, I really really do.

I write because if I said everything I wanted to someone would say--"be quiet, Mary...my ears are tired of listening!"

I write because I see the stories and I want to share them.

Julia said...

I like what Mary said.

I write to understand myself and others.

Hutt-Write Voice said...

Simply put, few things in life bring me as much lasting joy as writing. God gave me this amazing gift and I just wanna share it -- inspire and bring joy to others it!!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Mary, I like your answer. All of the above! And you ARE good and I can see the joy in your writing. :)

Oooo, Julia, that is deep! I wonder if I will write deep enough to ever understand myself. Time will tell...

Linda, I love hearing that people get such joy from writing. There is something freeing in that. Woohoo!

Casey said...

Because I can be creative in ways I never thought I could be creative. I love it!

And no, I didn't know it was National Writing Day. Fun! :)

Pepper said...

Oh fun!!
Love Sarah's answer!

1. I write because I'm called.
2. I write because I LOVE it!
3. I write because...when I write, I feel God's pleasure.
4. I write because it reduces my stress and is much more weight-efficient than eating chocolate every time I'm stressed ;-)

(#4 was just for fun, but I bet you knew that already)

Julia M. Reffner said...

I can't take credit for it. It was something my English professor said about why we read and I thought it really fits why I write.