Monday, September 20, 2010

ACFW RECAP

Well, here I am - sitting at the computer at 12:21am on Monday, just in from visiting with the Seeker gals after the BIG night.
It's been a fabulous experience and I really hope those of you who've never had the opportunity can go soon (Sherrinda, Casey, Mary).
So - here's a bit of a recap from the Sunday Night's Award Ceremony where Seekerville and Cowboy Writer, Mary Connealy, won the Carol Award for Long Historical Romance with her novel, Cowboy Christmas.
Here's a pic.

And here are some more pics.
To the right is a pic with author, Cathy Marie Hake - a wonderful encourager and overcomer. Her personal story is fascinating and her novels are a delightful journey.

Here's a pic of some of the Seekers - Audra Harders, Janet Dean,
Debbie Guisti, and Cara Lynn James.
They were all so nice and encouraging. Audra took extra time with me to pray for my writing. I loved spending time with her - with all of them. They truly are as sweet and genuine as they appear on Seekerville.


Okay - so here's a bonus picture. ONe of the highlights of yesterday. Janette Oake came!!! And here she is. What a fabulous lady. It's hard to believe her book, Love Comes Softly, came out in 1979 and was one of the catalysts for the growth of Christian fiction.

I'll be posting more of the lessons and information I've learned over on my personal blog at http://www.pepperbasham.wordpress.com/ , but let me just leave you with a few nuggets to chew on:
1. God's timing is perfect to fufill the Call He has on your heart
2. Fellowship is just as rewarding (if not more) as good teaching. I cannot tell you how encouraged I've been just by spending time with some of these wonderful pubbed and pre-pubbed authors this weekend.
3. Some of the 'rules' you've heard about on this site are still enforced - strongly- Show Don't Tell being one of the big ones :-)
4. The main purpose of what you write is to glorify God the way He's called YOU to do it. For each author it will look different, and I want to make a longer post about that point later.

Hope you enjoy the pics. There are more to come :-)

16 comments:

Amber Holcomb said...

I love the "nuggets" you shared with us, Pepper, and those pictures are great! And to think...you got to meet Janette Oke!!! :D How exciting!!!

Thank you for being a night owl and sharing about your experience! :)

~Amber

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Awesome nuggets to chew on! I can't wait to hear more about your trip and learn from your incredible experience! I bet you will be floating for days to come!

Pepper said...

Amber & Sherrinda
It's been a wonderful opportunity and I'm deeply humbled by the experience. I can't wait to share more about it when I'm a bit more coherent.
Besides, it's a lot like morning coffee: after you give it time to 'sink' in, lots of things become more clear.
Right now, I'm in the fog of the moment :-) Or maybe that's lack of sleep

Casey said...

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this!!!!!! I loved the nuggets and the photos. I'll chat more later, but I needed to read it this morning! What a THRILL to meet Janette Oke!!! WOW! Bet you're still pinching yourself right?? Your dress is gorgeous. :D

Susan Anne Mason said...

Great pictures, Pepper! And you look so gorgeous in all of them.

Looking forward to your recap of all you learned once you get some sleep!

Another Seekerville fan (and now Writers Alley fan!)

Sue

Pepper said...

Case,
It was surreal, and when I come out of my brain-numb stupor, I might try pinching myself. Right now, I wouldn't feel it. :-)

Pepper said...

Susan,
SOOOOO glad to have you over to the Alley. Lots of sweet people are here.
Btw, sleep DOES sound like a wonderful thing right now.
Maybe in about 45 minutes, when I get on the plane :-)

Beth K. Vogt said...

You looked beautiful! Sorry I didn't think to come looking for you at the banquet last night--and now I am back home in Denver. It was quite a conference, wasn't it? The opportunity to pray with others and to see doors open . . . amazing speakers and reasons to celebrate!

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

Pepper, the dress is as wonderful as you said. I'm so glad you got to go. After watching the live blog of the banquet I so wish I could have gone...but it has inspired me to try to go next year.
Your updates about proposals, the excitement, the people, the unity, the prayers, the sharing, the gathering of info, the inspiration...the list could go on for a page.
Thanks for these great nuggets. :)

Melanie Dickerson said...

Pepper is sooooo much fun in person! Just as much fun in person as she is on her blog and in email! She's "real." Love ya, Pepper! :-) I got some good pics of us too. Will post them to facebook when I can.

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Awww, Melanie! I can't wait to meet Pepper face to face! I bet she is a good hugger. ;)

Pepper said...

Beth,
Wasn't it remarkable?!?
If I can save up enough money, I hope to go back to it next year. What a wonderful opportunity!

Pepper said...

Mary,
I just get tickled down to my toenails about getting a chance to meet you ladies. Wouldn't that be AWESOME!!! Can't wait.

Pepper said...

Oh Melanie,
What a delight it was to hang out with you. SOOOO much fun!! You are a sweetie and seem to handle my sarcasm pretty well - I knew you were tough ;-)
And you looked absolutely wonderful in your medieval attire. I'm sending a cyber hug right now

Pepper said...

sherrinda,
I'm sending you a cyber hug right now too. A big one.
Next September, I hope to give you a real one :-)

Audra Harders said...

I can't believe Google ate my reply! How rude is this!

The Awards ceremony was just the icing on the last 3 days of a fantastic conference! Pepper, you are as delightful in person as you are on your blog and in Seekerville. I can honestly say you are my favorite stalker, LOL!

Start saving your pennies now. ACFW St Louis 2011 is only 360 days away...