Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Tipful Tuesday: C.S. Lewis

www.facebook.com/thewritersalleyblog
Besides the quote featured, C.S. Lewis has another quote that talks about like-minded friendship, how, you know the beginning of friendship when you suddenly realize common ground. What better common ground than "I write", and what bonus my friendships seemed to be when I started looking for a contract. But, oh, they are so much more than a bonus. This quote resonated with me today:
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which gave value to survival." C.S. Lewis
I just spent a writing weekend with some of my fellow Alley Cats. There is something about spending a writing weekend with ladies who I only see once a year, or maybe even less than that, and connecting within the first five minutes of reunion.Thankfully, we have the internet these days, because I know them and they know me, even if we never cross paths in everyday life.
On this writing journey of triumphs, failures, rejections, and doubts, I would have hardly survived without my friendships. I'd say this first and foremost--the value of my survival is only as great as the friendships that have seen me through. I don't "need" them to write a good story or send in a proposal, but to survive the road without them? Not even sure if it would be worth it. They make the survival tolerable...more than that...valuable. 
If you are just starting out on this journey toward publication, be sure to connect to a writing group. And don't just go to be known and get your edge on that next step, go to find friendship and community. Your survival will be a valuable one. 
###
Angie Dicken credits her love of story to reading British literature during life as a military kid in Cambridgeshire, England. Now living in the U.S., she's an ACFW member, a blog contributor to the Writer's Alley, a baseball mom, and a self-proclaimed foodie. Two of her historical romance novels comprise her Fall 2017 debut: The Outlaws Second Chance, Love Inspired Historical, and My Heart Belongs in Castle Gate, Utah, Barbour. 


Connect with Angie at www.angiedicken.com

2 comments:

Emily Conrad said...

"On this writing journey of triumphs, failures, rejections, and doubts, I would have hardly survived without my friendships." Me, too! So grateful for the friends who've helped me stick with it!

Angie Dicken said...

Thanks for stopping by, Emily! I never expected such a lonely pastime to be so fulfilled in community!