Friday, December 30, 2016

Friday Five with Meghan Gorecki

Happy New Year, y'all! What is your tradition? Now that our children are 8 and 11 we'll be ringing in 2017 with soda, munchies, and a night of family games. Do you stay up? Party? Sleep?

THRILLED to have Meghan Gorecki here to ring in the New Year with us! Meghan is an awesome Alley pal who has lots going on in her writing life. I know you'll enjoy hearing from her! And be sure to check out her blog!

Meghan M. Gorecki is an author of inspirational fiction, a blogger, book reviewer and voracious reader. Taking her life a day at a time as God leads, she is pursuing a career in the publishing industry as an editor in training and as a member of American Christian Fiction Writers. A hopeless romantic, history and Marvel nut, she's also a redhead (thanks to a box), who knows way too much trivia about movie musicals and the Civil War. Find her on social media and at her blog, A Northern Belle (http://www.northernbellemeg.com)

FRIDAY FIVE:

1) Meghan, what genres do you write in?

I write historical and contemporary romance...thus far. ;) The latter being one I honestly didn't think I'd ever actually publish, but here we are!

So excited for you, girl!



2) Do you have a favorite New Year's tradition? Any exciting plans this year?

A favorite New Year's tradition! Great question...*think think think think* Probably choosing a One Word for the upcoming year. Though this year I have not a clue what it will be. This New Years my family and I will be hosting an enormous open house from around 8pm where there will be way too much food, fun, laughter--and a hockey game on the TV. LOL Happy, crowded-house chaos with our friends.

Love picking the one word! I haven't decided mine yet either. Sounds like a great evening you have planned!


3) Do you make resolutions? Specific writing goals for the year?

I write a few personal goals down that may count as "resolutions" but for this pantser-writer right here--no hard and fast lengthy list of true resolutions. I do however definitely map out writing goals--though if tradition holds true, God will take something and snowball it into something totally unplanned.

Don't you love how he does that?!



4) Favorite party food?

Ooh...um...aaah. Too many choices to pick from! I think perhaps buffalo chicken dip. Or my mom's homemade stove-popped popcorn with real melted butter and parmesan cheese. Yep. Those two. Tied for Favorite.

Yum! Great choices! Popcorn with melted butter if my favorite, too.



5) Can you tell us about your holiday novella? What inspired you to write this story and how do we pick it up?

5) My holiday novella, Wrapped in Red, is a Christmas tale from my heart. Largely inspired by real life events--and my family, this story began snowballing into existence this time last year but only in late October of this year was when God really plunked it in my lap and said, "Here. Use this." While I do not yet have my own hero like Sam Shepard, the dating woes and lovably meddlesome family have been my life this year, which was incredibly fun to write. And I got to pay not-so-subtle but delightful homage to my family, our food traditions--and this grand city I claim as my hometown: Pittsburgh. Getting to literally go downtown to the winter garden, Christmas market and hear all the old stories from my dad who used to work down there, and spend some holly-jolly time with my family? All in the name of book research?
Absolutely priceless.

Little tidbit: the story ends on New Years Eve near the stroke of midnight--which is tomorrow! So there's still time to enjoy the holiday season and pick up a copy in the Kindle store here for just a dollar, or if you're old-fashioned like me and prefer a real copy you can hold in your hands, you can grab a paperback copy here.
About Wrapped in Red:
A Steel City holiday romance sure to melt your heart.

The holidays haven't been the easiest for Merry Grainger. Five years ago, she lost her grandfather and got dumped by her boyfriend right before Christmas. Each season since sees her determined to avoid getting hurt again, and so she keeps a steel-like grip on her hopeless romantic heart.

Music used to soothe Sam Shepard’s soul until the death of his biggest cheerleader broke his heart, family, and dreams into pieces. Now he’s focused on thriving in the city, and with the people, he’s grown to love—all to keep the hole in his heart from opening anew with every passing holiday season.

Thrown together by a church play and meddlesome family armed with mistletoe, will Merry and Sam unwrap their guarded hearts to let in the true hope of Christmas—and each other?

Thanks so much, can't wait to read this, Meghan!

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ALLEY NEWS:

WINNER: Our Friday Five guest happens to also be the winner of her choice of book by Pepper Basham. MEGHAN GORECKI, please email caseym.writer@gmail.com with your mailing address and we'll get that out to you!!!

KAREN SCHRAVEMADE is releasing her DREAMS BY DESIGN PLANNER. This would be a great tool to help writers get organized in the new year. It has a place for daily to-dos and long-term goals and includes a daily space for your word count. This project also helps support Amazima ministries in Uganda.


RECIPE CORNER:

So...growing up in upstate NY, I agree, Buffalo dip is a must for New Year's celebrations. Anchor Bar, the originator of Buffalo wings uses Frank's hot sauce and here is my favorite recipe. I use shredded cheddar cheese (1 cup) and also still use the crumbled blue cheese.


BUFFALO WING DIP (taken from Frank's website)

Ingredients

  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
  • 1 (8 oz. pkg.) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup FRANK'S RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce or FRANK'S RedHot® Buffalo Wings Sauce
  • 1/2 cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
  • 1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese or your favorite shredded cheese

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
COMBINE all ingredients and spoon into shallow 1-quart baking dish.
BAKE 20 minutes or until mixture is heated through; stir. Garnish with chopped green onions if desired. Serve with crackers and/or vegetables.


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! What are your writing goals?










5 comments:

Angie Dicken said...

I LOVE BUFFALO Chicken DIP.

Oh my mouth is watering.

Before I head out to buy the ingredients LOL, just wanted to welcome Meghan to the Alley! Sooo glad to see you here. What a fun interview. Happy New Year, Girl!

And to you too, Julia!! <3

Kelly Blackwell said...

Fabulous Friday Five. Thanks for the heads up to about Meghan's novella. I'm married to a PA boy and I think this will be a perfect holiday read.

Happy New Year!!!

Pepper Basham said...

Meghan!!!!
So glad you have you here and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Buffalo Chicken Dip! YES!! Yum!!!

And the cover of Wrapped in Red is awesome. Can't wait to read it :-)

Laurie Tomlinson said...

MG, you're everywhere right now! Lots of things to be excited about right now! So happy to have you here <3

Anonymous said...

Thank ya'll SO much for having me at my favorite/go-to writerly haven. <3 Happy, happy new year. SO blessed that 2016 saw me meeting most of ya'll Alley Cats at ACFW/CFRR.

Kelly--hope you enjoy!

Pepper--SO stoked to be here. <3 And thank you--so glad you like the cover. I have to admit--its my latest favorite. <3

Laurie!!!! AGH. Still pinching myself. God is good. Love ya!