Thursday, September 15, 2016

The Blank Page

Every writer has that moment.

You know the one I'm talking about? It's that moment they look at a page--or a screen--and see nothing.

Just an empty page of white. Or maybe if you're doing it old school, a page of lines.

It's our blank canvas, so to speak. The words we write will create pictures not on the page, but in the imaginations of our readers.

I'm starting a new book this week and was struck by the wonder of the blank page. I can literally create any story I want right now. The sky is the limit, only bound by the reaches of my imagination.

The ideas swirl around in my head as I stare at that page. My fingers itch to start typing. My characters are fighting around me, demanding their story fill those pages RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

But there is an innocence about the blank page. It reminds me of the 5 times I held a child in my womb. I would sit there, a hand to my swollen belly--seeing their life stretch out in front of them just like that blank page, a story to be lived, a story that would have bumps and mountains and cliffs and valleys, joys and sorrows, black moments and hopefully, a happily-ever-after. Even though I know there will be pain, it also never ceases to capture my breath at the wonder of it, the exciting expectation of their story to be lived. Even the one baby who never lived to take that first breath... her story was still just as dear to me, even though it was a very short one.


My suggestion to you today is to enjoy that blank page for a moment. It's the moment of conception of your BOOK baby! (I really want to make a joke here about that... but I'm going to refrain. You are welcome!!) Let yourself get EXCITED about the process and pump yourself up about digging in. Don't look at the blank page with a scowl. Look at it with expectancy of story you're about to create on paper.

And as writer's who loves Jesus, look at it as the beginning of a journey creating with God. Where will God take you? (A shout out to Allen Arnold's new book, The Story of With, which I will be reading VERY VERY SOON!!)

The journey isn't always easy, but oh, what a journey it is.

Enjoy the ride, my writer friends!!

**SIDE NOTE**

My novella, A (sorta) Southern Serenade, released in a box set this week, Falling For You! You can get it for only 99 cents for a limited time! 

*************************************************
Krista is a follower of Jesus, a wife, a mother, and writes romantic comedy. Her latest book A Side of Love, released February 29, 2016.  She blogs about finding JOY in the journey of LIFE at http://www.kristaphillips.com. She is represented by Sarah Freese of Wordserve Literary.

No comments: