Thursday, May 29, 2014

A Wise Man Will Hear....

*gulp*

I'm stepping out on a bit of a new journey for myself.

I always swore I would never self-publish. I didn't have anything against it, I just had ZERO aspirations to be a publisher. I just wanted to write a story.

But I'm stepping over to the other side this year.

I'm SUPER new to this journey, so I thought it'd be fun to take you all along with me. So my next few posts will include things that I have learned (and probably more like, WILL learn over the next few months!) My hope is that I can share the FUN and the NERVES and the CHALLENGES and the LEARNING CURVES that come along with it.

I'll make lots of mistakes. I'm 100% confident of that.

But sometimes God calls us out of our comfort zone, and this is definitely it.

My first bit of advice for my first post on this is a simple one:

SEEK WISE COUNCIL.

We're told this as writers anyway, but I think it is just as important if not more so when considering publishing on your own.

I've chatted with a few self-pubbed authors, including former Alleycat Wendy Paine Miller who just released her first full-length independently published novel, The Flower Girls. She was one of my go-to advisors, and oh-my-goodness, I'm so thankful for her friendship and words of advice!

I also talked with some members who had gone down that path before me in a local writer's group as well, including one of my favorite authors, Tamara Leigh.

So yes. That's my advice.

Talk to those who have gone before. Find out the cost, the pitfalls, the dangers, the rewards. Comb through Google and read articles until you can't stand Google anymore. The more AWARE you are at the front means you will have realistic expectations and can make GOOD realistic (yet HIGH) goals for yourself.

Discussion: How has learning from those who have gone before helped you? Anyone specific come along to help you in your writing journey, whether toward independent publishing or traditional?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson at http://goteenwriters.blogspot.ru have been an INCREDIBLE help in my writing. They share a lot of stuff to help other writers. And it's cool to have a website specifically for teens. :)

Krista Phillips said...

Ohhh, I just went to that blog for the first time the other day... I am far from being a teen but the post was a super fabulous one!! Yeah for Stephanie and Jill!!

Jeanne Takenaka said...

I'm looking forward to your posts, Krista! Self-publishing scares me still. :) Your counsel is wise—go to those who have gone before you.

I have a dear friend who really encouraged me when I began my writing journey. She's still a listening ear and a gentle guide when I need one. :)

Best of luck to you!

Krista Phillips said...

Jeanne... self-publishing still scares me too!! LOL.

Pepper said...

Krista,
You're the brave AlleyCat we can encourage along the rock, indy path....
and then follow in the path you set.
Maybe...
And yes - I think it would definitely be scary, but if ANYONE can succeed in this, it's you!
You're one of the bravest people I know

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Krista, I'm truly so excited for your journey ahead. I'm a wee bit in love with learning so going through the process of indie publishing provided me with rich opportunities.

Thanks so much for the shout out!

~ Wendy

Krista Phillips said...

Pepper, I have this picture in my head of all the Alleycats pushing me off a cliff saying, "You go first!" LOL!!

Krista Phillips said...

Wendy, you have totally helped me change my perspective! I've seriously had the 'cliff' in my head, worried about how hard I was going to fall, but then here is sweet Wendy, skipping and jumping through the indi-publishing fields of wildflowers.... You've seriously put a little "excitement" in my journey that was definitely lacking when I first started contemplating this last fall!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Bwahahaha! That is a great mental picture of us pushing you over the cliff. Snort...sigh, such fun.

I'm soooo excited about this for you and like Pepper, I think are uber brave. Can't wait to see what God does through you. :)