Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Chocolate Cafe with Jody Hedlund

We are pleased to welcome the lovely Jody Hedlund to The Chocolate Café today to feature one of her favorite heroes. (I'm so tickled she's talking about Carl...swoon)

Jody's first two series (The Hearts of Faith and the Michigan Brides Collection) have come with rave reviews, and it's amazing the literary track she's covered in less than four years: 6 books since 2010 while raising a crew of 5 cute kids! What a lady, but I'd imagine her busy life has only added to the inspiration.

So, as we offer you guys some fresh-baked  Chocolate-Banana Hot Pockets, your favorite cup of breakfast java (for me it's hot chocolate extraordinaire) and pull up a seat!


Okay, Jody - who has been one of your favorite heroes to write?
 
 
 
I think that I fall in love with each of my heroes every time that I write a book! But I'd have to say that one of my all time favorites has been Carl from A Noble Groom.
 
 And WHY was he your favorite to write?
 
I love heroes who are slightly humorous (or at least can laugh at themselves). And even though I was continually throwing Carl into difficult situations, he was the kind of hero who didn't take things too seriously. He could bumble through learning how to work on the farm, make mistakes, and still keep smiling.
 
releases in July 2014
I also love heroes who are tender with children–that makes them even more heroic in my mind. And Carl stood out from the other men in his culture in that he wasn't too manly to hold a baby or give pony-rides to toddlers.
 
Finally, I love heroes who are self-sacrificial. Carl was willing to give up his own plans to teach in order to stay and help Annalisa. He was even willing to give up all of his money to help pay off the loan on her farm. And in the end, he was still thinking about her when he bought her a new crock and filled it with his invention money.
 

Yep! All the reasons I think Carl is ONE PHENOMENAL Hero!!

What about you guys? How does humor play a part in the heroes you love to read or write?

Quotes:
"Common sense and  a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense...dancing." - William James


"Joy in one's heart and some laughter on one's lips is a sign that the person down deep has a pretty good grasp of life." - Hugh Sidey

7 comments:

Ryoma Sakamoto.Japan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pepper said...

Jody,
It really isn't fair that you hit all these wonderful qualities in one hero so well. He's funny, tender, and willing to be humble. That's beautiful!

Ashley Clark said...

Jody, I can't wait to read this book! Carl sounds like a winner. :) Thanks for being our guest today!

Casey said...

Oh, I'm with you Pep, I'm so glad Jody gave us a peek into Carl. The BEST hero I've read in ages. He was so easy to fall for. Sigh. :)

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

I haven't mastered the art of adding humor, although I am especially pleased when my crit partner puts "LOL" by a sentence. I do love, though, reading humor wedged in novels. Not an intentionally comedic work, just a sporadic one liner here or there. Those are so memorable.:)

Krista Phillips said...

Ohhh, I LOVED Carl too!!! Really, loved all your heroes, Jody:-)

I agree--a hero that can have a touch of humor and DEFINITELY with a soft spot for kiddos... A+ in my book!

Jody Hedlund said...

Hi Everyone! Thank you ALL for your kind words about Carl! You're all so sweet! Love you! :-)