Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Chocolate Cafe with Janet Dean

The first time I met author Janet Dean from Seekerville I thought...now there's southern class at its finest. She has a whole lot of southern charm too, kind of like our own Ashley Clark. Must be all that sweet tea those ladies drink ;-)
Anyway, I am thrilled to welcome Janet to the Chocolate Cafe today.

We're having an unwholesome combination of Sticky Buns (for National Sticky Bun day yesterday) and dark chocolate milk. We've even thrown in a bowl of fruit to negate any calories from the Sticky Buns.

Now, let's see what the lovely Janet Dean has to tell us about one of her most memorable characters:

I love Callie Mitchell, the heroine in Wanted: A Family, a woman of courage and conviction, not afraid to do what's right in the face of strong opposition from friends, family and even members of her church. A pregnant widow, Callie faces the daunting task of rearing her child as a single parents and relates to unwed mothers, often alone and desperate. Callie's best friend died at her own hand, rather than subject her family to the disgrace of pregnant unwed daughter. Determined to prevent such tragedies, Callie opens her Victorian home as a refuge for unwed mothers, not condoning or judging, just giving these women her support.

In order for Callie's motivation for unwed mother's to be strong enough to withstand the opposition of people she holds dear, I made the issue personal and emotional by adding Callie's best friend's tragic suicide. Hopefully this issue in Callie past helps readers to put themselves in Callie's shoes and not only understand her motivation but also sympathize and root for Callie's goal.

Wow - what a story, Janet.
And it was beautifully done in her book, Wanted: A Family.
Thanks for sharing with us today!

Quote:
Success is not measured by what you accomplish, but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds.
- Orison Swett Marden 

14 comments:

Angie Dicken said...

Ooh, sticky buns? Yum! Callie Mitchell sounds like she has similar struggles to my current wip's heroine! What a great premise for a book! Thanks for sharing, Janet!

Angie Dicken said...

Wow...blogger just posted my comment like six times...

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

What a beautiful story, Janet….and so timely.
Actually, this is a timeless story and your characters seem warm.
Thank you for addressing this topic in your book.

Anonymous said...

I have read this book and LOVED IT!!!

Janet is a masterful storyteller with a wry sense of humor!!

Julie Lessman said...

LOVED Callie Mitchell as a heroine and like Tina, I LOVED this book -- one of my faves of Janet's, but then they ALL are ... ;)

I ditto Tina's comment above -- "Janet is a masterful storyteller with a wry sense of humor!!"

Hugs,
Julie

Pepper said...

So glad to share your story today, Janet!! (or Callie's story)
And I have a character who in book 2 of my historical who is going to be one of those 'unwed' mothers Callie helps.

Faithful Acres Books said...

Having been a single mother at 18, I can really relate to this story and her cause. I would love to read this, I have a strong desire to that calling myself. I kept my baby girl Amanda then and this year she turns 31 ! She is one of my dearest friends.
waves to Jules !!! your just all over the place this week !
Hugs
Thanks for writing such a sweet book Janet, it is going to be a must read on my shelf.
Linda Finn
Faithful Acres Books
faithfulacresbooks@gmail.com

Janet Dean said...

I'm so sorry I'm late to the party! Thanks for having me to the Chocolate Cafe, Pepper! And for the yummy sticky buns and the lovely compliment that I'm a southern lady. I'm not unless you count growing up in southern Indiana.

Janet

Janet Dean said...

Thank you, Angie! Don't you love strong heroines who have the courage to fight for what they believe in?

Janet

Janet Dean said...

Hi Mary V. Thanks! The hero of this story was born to an unwed mother and put in an orphanage at birth. He comes to Callie's hometown to search of his birth mother. Lots of emotion with a sensitive subject, especially in 1900.

Janet

Janet Dean said...

Hi Tina! Thanks for your lovely words!

Pepper, I didn't even have to pay her. ;-)

Janet

Janet Dean said...

Hi Julie! Thanks! I need to hang out here more often. Your words are as sweet as the sticky buns!

Janet

Janet Dean said...

Pepper, your story has me intrigued! To have a baby out of wedlock is hard, especially back then. Talk about ready-made conflict. Wishing you all the best with this!

Janet

Janet Dean said...

Hi Linda. I know how proud you must be of Amanda! And of yourself for giving her a good start. Motherhood at 18 isn't easy. God bless you.

Janet