Monday, December 16, 2013

A New Idea: Writing You Can't Resist

I will confess. When it comes to chocolate, wrapped Christmas presents, and Food Network re-runs of Chopped when I should be doing laundry, I have no self-control.

Rarely, do I stumble across an unopened bag of dark chocolate chips in the pantry. IF I talk myself into
buying the stuff for say, something as noble as my children's after-school snack mix, while I am staring at it in the baking aisle it doesn't seem to cross my mind what will happen during my day while it sits....waiting within the confines of my home.

Perhaps, I talk myself out of sneaking a treat as I go about my chores. Perhaps, I forget for a moment, but usually if there is chocolate in the house, it is distraction and temptation all wrapped up in a perfect golden package screaming, “Just a nibble!” And if any of you can handle that size portion of pure chocolate goodness, then I'd like to have a chat.

Sooooo....what does this have to do with writing (besides the fact that many of us use this delicious treat to fuel our creativity...or our comfort when rejections come)?

I got an idea...A really good idea. One that I knew must be stuffed into the cabinet of my “ideas” folder on my desktop.
After all, I was in the middle of writing a novel I started over the summer. And, I swore I'd get it finished by November. Eh....

So...I stared at the new doc icon on in my toolbar, and I talked myself out of it. If it was chocolate, I would have left the room. So instead, I left my WIP and took a stroll to my gmail account, my yahoo account, my house budget, my kitchen, my laundry room...well, that didn't help much. I inevitably resort to writing after facing the laundry. Writing is so much more fun, right?

Besides, I am a one book at a time kinda gal. 
            But this idea...whoa. 
                                        I just want to open THAT bag...

It's an idea that I can trace back its roots in my heart, twenty years ago. It just seems to be that next step...that next treat...that next tear into a delicious snack....

So I shoot a text to a couple trusted writing friends, and bounce the idea off of them. Then I hash it out in conversation with my hubby. Then I can't see past anything but this giant, shiny idea that is screaming at me to get it on paper. Just open the bag and get a taste of that scrumptious rich sweet chocolate....

I sit down and just go with it. I write.
And I write.
And I write.
And this story is pouring out. And the synopsis is coming together. And I've written six chapters in a week. Aaaaah....

What about the other story?

But, you know what? After all the posts I've written on wanting to be a published author, AT THIS TIME, I am just fine with not being one yet. I don't have deadlines, I don't have expectations of what my writing time should be spent doing. Unlike chocolate, which could get me in a whole heap of laundry that doesn't fit anymore, I can indulge in these creative juices without regret. I have God's nudge, the story on my heart, and blank pages. What more could a writer want?

Except a large bag of rich dark chocolate chips. :)

Have you opened that bag...a new idea...lately?

**FOR THOSE WAITING ON THE DRAWING FOR GOD IS ABLE, WE'LL ANNOUNCE THE WINNER ON SATURDAY...KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR INBOXES:)**
***************************************************************************
Angie Dicken first began writing fiction as a creative outlet during the monotonous, mothering days of diapers and temper tantrums. She is passionate to impress God's love on women regardless of their background or belief. This desire serves as a catalyst for Angie's fiction, which weaves salvation and grace themes across historical cultures and social boundaries. Angie is an ACFW member and is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray of the Steve Laube Agency.

10 comments:

Angela said...

A milk chocolate bag of Nestlé's morsels mixed with cashews help me to get the ideas flowing.

Thanks for sharing this post.

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Angie—dark chocolate is my favorite! I was going to say it's my best, friend, but really.....it's what I turn to when I'm craving sugar. :)

I love your perspective on not being published yet. It's good to remember and count the blessings where we are. Right. Now. Thanks for this reminder.

And, enjoy your chocolate—literally and figuratively!

Janet Reeves said...

I love this! I have a twenty year idea in my head, too. Why are we so afraid to start writing what we so love? Maybe we're afraid if we start, we won't stop and we'll neglect something important. I'll have to think on that. In the meantime, thank you for encouraging me. I appreciate your thoughts.

Julia M. Reffner said...

Angie,

I love this perspective. We are so blessed by you here. That is awesome about your story! I can't wait to hear more!

Angie Dicken said...

Angela,
That snack mix sounds divine! Thanks for sharing!

Angie Dicken said...

Jeanne, Yes, I often resort to chocolate for a sugar fix. And, it's a very DIFFICULT think to remember the perks of not being published yet, so I am glad this is a sweet reminder. ;)

Angie Dicken said...

Janet,
I didn't really know how to apply what I've carried for twenty years, so I'd like to think it's all in God's timing. :) You are so right about taking that courageous step forward. Best of luck to you!
Thanks for stopping by!

Angie Dicken said...

Julia,
You are so sweet and encouraging. I feel the same about you. Will share with you soon!

Anonymous said...

I SO relate & love your closing thoughts. Makes me feel so much better about being a yet-unpublished author. Here's to enjoying chocolate & free creativity!

Angie Dicken said...

Cheers, Meghan! Thanks for stopping by.:)