Thursday, August 29, 2013

Protein Boost Fruit Smoothie Recipe!


Hi everyone! Ashley here-- I'm actually a vegetarian and have been for years, so I'm always looking for  ways to get protein and vitamins in things that still taste like food. So not a fan of tofu or any other cardboard-like substances.

I'd hear for a long time that Greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein, but -gag!- I don't like regular yogurt, much less the Greek stuff. I envy all of you yogurt fans who can just eat it right out of the container! I've never been able to do that.

So my husband, who's watched enough Alton Brown shows to be a chef, came up with this delicious recipe, which is easy to make, very quick, and packed with tons of protein and good-for-you nutrients. It's the perfect choice for a quick breakfast to take on the go.



Depending on the time of yogurt you use, this smoothie has about 12 grams of protein. Not too shabby! It also is packed with antioxidants.

You'll need a blender of sorts, preferably a small one like the Magic Blender.

Here's the recipe!

Take a regular cup of Greek yogurt, and scoop it in the blender cup along with about 6 or 7 frozen strawberries (we've found frozen ones help with the consistency) and a handful of frozen blueberries. Depending on how thick you want the smoothie, you then want to add between 1/4-3/4 cups of orange juice. My husband likes to add a splash of almond milk, but I usually skip that step. Blend it up, and you're done!

These are perfect for healthy after-school snacks or breakfasts. You could always multiply the recipe in a regular sized blender if you wanted to make it for multiple family members at once. And if you have trouble getting it to blend well, I've discovered the trick is putting the yogurt in before the frozen fruit.

Enjoy! Now you can feel good about eating something healthy and get back to your writing!




****************************************************************************

Ashley Clark writes romantic comedy with southern grace. She's dreamed of being a writer ever since the thumbprint-cookie-days of library story hour. Ashley has an M.A. in English and enjoys teaching literature courses at her local university. She's an active member of ACFW and runs their newcomer's loop. When she's not writing, Ashley's usually busy rescuing stray animals and finding charming new towns. You can find Ashley on her personal blogFacebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. She is represented by Karen Solem.

4 comments:

Julia M. Reffner said...

Yum-o! I love smoothies! Great recipe, Ash! I've been looking for good breakfast recipes for the school year!

Jeanne Takenaka said...

That sounds delicious, Ashley! I'm gonna have to try this one for my family. :)

Ashley Clark said...

Thanks Julia! They really are so fast, and taste delicious! It's like a milkshake you can feel good about!

Ashley Clark said...

Jeanne, I hope your family likes them! You could also change up the fruit if you like raspberries, cherries, etc. I usually use strawberry yogurt to add some extra tang. :)