Monday, August 26, 2013

Plottin' Pizza in the Oven

So, my children have witnessed Mom on the computer more this week than the whole summer. Yep, deadlines are just around the corner and I am trying to take on the mad rush.

There's no reason quick food can't be semi-healthy and fully-hearty at the same time. Here is a recipe that is a sure winner and SUPER easy! Wish I had a picture, but I have a pic of what might be going on during bake time!

plotting away!

Easy French Bread Pizza:

1 loaf of garlic bread-in-the-foil at your local grocery store's bakery dept.
1 lb. of ground beef or turkey
1 jar of your favorite organic spaghetti sauce
1 8 oz. bag of pizza blend cheese
1/2 tbsp. of Olive Oil
1 grated zucchini or squash or 2 carrots (gotta hide those veggies in there for my picky eaters)


1. Turn the oven on according to the temp on the garlic bread package
2. Brown the ground beef or turkey. Season if you'd like. Drain fat.
3. Pour the jar of spaghetti sauce in your meat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
4. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan and cook the zucchini until soft. Mix with meat/sauce mixture.
5. Divide the garlic bread into two sides (should have lots of delicious garlicky butter on each side),  spread meat mixture evenly on both sides.
6. Sprinkle with cheese in generous amounts (LOVE me some cheese)
7. Stick in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

My boys devour this...and we still have leftovers! I recommend heating leftovers in a toaster oven!

Enjoy!


6 comments:

Julia M. Reffner said...

For some reason never thought of using garlic bread for pizza. Yum. :)

Jeanne said...

Looks yummy, Angie!

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

Definitely gonna try this, Ang! Great suggestion!

Karen @ a house full of sunshine said...

Yes, definitely gonna try this one! I have a feeling it'll be pretty popular with my boys.

Angie Dicken said...

It's delicious, Ladies! I use regular French bread too, and drizzle olive oil on it...but the garlic bread takes it to a whole new level!!

~cjoy said...

LOL - (fine little pieces of) zucchini or squash is a staple in our pizza and spaghetti sauce! I made spaghetti last night and had a moment of panic, thinking I was out of the necessary veggies. :)