Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Great APPs for Writers

Photo by samuiblue
freedigitalphotos.net
You know it happens. You are in the carpool line and you think of a great scene...or a fabulous line...and you have no pen and paper anywhere! What to do? You don't want to lose the awesome words swirling amid your brain cells.

Well, I have some help for you. I did a little research and came up with some smartphone APPs that might help you out. I did not try out all these APPs, as some cost money and it is not yet pay day, if you know what I mean!

PLAIN TEXT
For editing text on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch. PlainText is a simple text editor with an uncomplicated, paper-like user interface. Unlike the default Notes app, PlainText allows you to create and organize your documents in folders and sync everything with Dropbox.com. (FREE to download)

EVERNOTE
Evernote is an easy-to-use, free app that helps you remember everything across all of the devices you use. Stay organized, save your ideas and improve productivity. Evernote lets you take notes, capture photos, create to-do lists, record voice reminders--and makes these notes completely searchable, whether you are at home, at work, or on the go. (FREE to download, but can pay a fee for more storage)

iA WRITER
A very popular APP that uses the iCloud with folder accessibility, as well as Drop-box enabled. It also has the ability to focus on just the words, by limiting the view to 3 written lines. This APP costs $.99 to download. 

STORY TRACKER
Story Tracker makes keeping track of your submitted stories, novels, poems, scripts, and articles easy. Never wonder again where or when you submitted your work. The information is all right there on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch!

** Note: This is the free Lite version of Story Tracker. The Lite version is almost identical to the full version, but only allows you to store up to 5 stories, 5 markets, and 5 submissions. It also includes database backup and export over WiFi (but not restore/import), allowing easy upgrade to the full version. The full version has no such limitations. ** (Full version costs $7.99 to download.)


EASY WRITER (for iPad)
This looks to be an excellent APP for writing and syncing with Dropbox. There is a paid version that gives you much more options and features, but this is a popular APP for iPad users.

DROPBOX
Dropbox lets you bring all your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Access any file you save to your Dropbox from all your computers, iPhone, iPad and even the Dropbox website!  (FREE for download)

DROPVOX - Voice Recording 
DropVox records audio and sends it directly to your Dropbox account in quality M4A format. Dictate your scene into DropVox and save for typing up later!  (FREE for download)


What APPs do you use that help you as a writer? 



***************************************************************************
This post is brought to you by
 Sherrinda Ketchersid

Sherrinda is a minister's wife and mother to three giant sons and one gorgeous daughter. A born and bred Texan, she writes historical romance filled with fun, faith, and forever love.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great App ideas. I'll have to try some of them out. I also use a voice to text app and a text to voice app for my writing. When I've got my hands full, and a story idea comes to me, I simply use the voice to text app to get my ideas down, and not have to worry about losing them. I use the text to voice app when I'm revising. By having the computer read my work back to me, I can hear what works and what doesn't. Stilted dialogue and missing words jump out at me. I really like the Voice Dream app for this, though there are many out text to voice apps out there.

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Thanks for sharing these apps, Sherrinda. I am still figuring out the world of Apps, so I appreciate this post. I do use Dropbox, and I LOVE it. I've got Evernote, I'm going to have to figure that one out. :)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Christina! Of course a voice app would be perfect for writers! I will definitely have to try out the Voice Dream, for sure! Thanks!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Jeanne, Evernote is sooo cool! I love it even for my desktop. It is a great place to organize your research for your book. I think I did a post about it here on the Alley. (If not, then I'm sure I did on my personal blog...I love EVERNOTE!!!)

Amy Leigh Simpson said...

This is so great! Thanks for the tips, Sher!