Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Flaws, Pride, and the Love that Conquers

I recently read To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer and was enthralled by the simple beauty of Levi and Eden's story, as well as the deep truths embedded within. *spoiler alert* Please don't read if you are planning to read this book and don't want to know details.

While the romance between blacksmith Levi Grant and librarian Eden Spencer was heart thumping and sigh worthy, what I loved about this book was the theme of grace and forgiveness.

Levi Grant had served time in prison for involuntary manslaughter. He is now a Christ follower, living a life of peace and trying to start life anew. Sure there are time when he struggles with his vow to remain a peaceful man, but he has a heart for God and wants to live right. But when his past comes to light, he is judged by his past instead of the way he has lived since....judged by hypocrites who are hiding their own secrets.

Eden Spencer is basically a snob. She has lived her life above reproach and doesn't want any associations with people who might tarnish her reputation. So when she is asked to take in a kitchen maid from the saloon/brothel, she is appalled...what would the town think? To her credit she takes the girl and suffers for it - the town all but shuns her.

The wonderful thing about this book is how God's love is spread through the actions of Levi and Eden. They take on the shunned ones who want a better life, but haven't been given a chance. They stand up for them, no matter the cost. They stand firm until others begin to see God's love and respond in kind. That's true love.

Another thing I loved was the pastor and his wife. They are non-judgmental when it comes to Levi and are the ones who help him to get a job. While Eden is upset when she learns of his past, his gentle ways and his heart shine through to reveal a man covered by Jesus's forgiveness.

We all have flaws. We all have things we aren't proud of. But God is a God who forgives. He loves the unlovable. He stand up for the weak. He lifts up the downtrodden..just a we should.

When have you stood up for what is right, no matter the cost? When have you befriended someone who has been shunned because of appearances or environment?

Let's open our eyes and look for those we can share God's love with. Kindness will make the difference.


****************************************************************************
This post is brought to you by
 Sherrinda Ketchersid

Sherrinda is wife to "Pastor John" and mother to three giant sons and one gorgeous daughter. A born and bred Texan, she writes historical romance filled with fun, faith, and forever love.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read Tailor Made Bride, and I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.

I like how you looked at the themes and showed how various characters lived it out. Thanks, Sherrinda!

Keli Gwyn said...

I've read all of Karen's books, and To Win Her Heart is probably my favorite, although it's hard to choose a favorite. I was so happy to see this heartwarming story win a Carol Award.

Nancy Kimball said...

Sherrinda, To Win Her Heart is is one of my favorite novels! I absolutely loved Levi and his hero journey and screamed like a mad person in Dallas when it won the Carol. I really enjoyed your article also. It's so important to be Jesus with skin on to the world around us and recognizing we aren't as different or as "better" as we'd like to believe is such a huge move that direction. The longer I live and serve, the more I understand why all the commandments come down to love God with all your heart, soul, and mind and your neighbor as yourself. They only work together.

Susan Anne Mason said...

Hi Sherrinda,

I loved this book, too! What a wonderful review and description you gave here. Hopefully a lot more people will get to read it!

Cheers,
Sue

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Jeanne, you will love this book. I haven't read Tailor Made Bride, but I did get to read the Short-Straw Bride, which was really good too. I think I like To Win Her Heart best so far...Levi is such a great, flawed hero.

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Keli, it's my favorite too, though I've only read 2 of her books. I just love the hero, Levi, and his journey. So real and raw. I really need to read her first one. ;)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Nancy, I love your heart! You are so right about the importance of loving God and loving your neighbor being intertwined. Life really comes down to love, when you really think about it. Love heals, encourages, and strengthens.

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Susan, I loved it too and think everyone should put it on their TBR pile!