Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Scriptures to pray for writers...

Ephesus view from Bay




Lord, give me the power to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ (Ephesians 3:18). Allow my words to show others how wide, long, high and deep your love.

For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. (2 Peter 1:16). Father, help our fiction to point to your Word and demonstrate that Your Word is true. May we esteem your Word above all other words, not allowing writing to become an idol in our lives but only using our words for your glory to minister to others. Give our words clarity that others may see a true vision of you, so that we may see a true vision of you.

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life. (1 John 1:1). May our Words portray Him who was in the beginning as the origin of all our words, our entire being. As you enliven all our senses, I pray that what we hear, see, touch, and taste would be pleasing to you. As we endeavor to make our stories sing with multi-sensory descriptions I pray that we would allow all in our story's world to point to you, the Creator of earth. 

Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel. (Philippians 1:27). Lord, I pray in our writing and in all our lives we would conduct ourselves in a manner worthy. I pray that we would act in love towards other writers and that we would stand firm in the faith. I pray that in our writing and our life we would not waver.

In Jesus' name,
Amen

Julie Lessman has a wonderful list of Scriptures to pray for writers on her site: Julie Lessman From the Heart

Do you have favorite Scriptures you pray for your writing? Or share a favorite verse that encourages you in your writing in the comments....








Julia enjoys writing women's fiction whenever she can find a chair free of smushed peanut butter sandwiches and lego blocks. She is a wife and homeschooling mama of two littles. She also enjoys reading and reviewing books for The Title Trakk, a Christian review site.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Julia! I'm going to have to print this out and pray these verses regularly. I hadn't thought to pray verses over my writing, but my daily prayer is that God would be glorified in my efforts.
PS--Google is making me make changes to my acct that I don't have time to do this moment.
This is Jeanne T. :)

Julia M. Reffner said...

Jeanne,

I'm so glad you stopped by even though your account wasn't working. I always look forward to your comments. I haven't thought of this until I saw Julie's list and I have only done this a few times but I would like to do it more often.

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

Thanks Julia.
You set our day, and our week. :)

Sarah Forgrave said...

I love the idea of praying Scriptures specifically for our writing journey. Thanks for sharing, Julia!

Naomi Rawlings said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Julia. My favorite would be "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding."

Julia M. Reffner said...

Mary,

Thanks.

Sarah,

This is something I must confess I'm only beginning to think about but want to incorporate it more.

Naomi,

Thanks for sharing that's one of my favorite Scriptures. The Lord is working on my trust muscles and I sure hope it will reflect in my writing.

Casey said...

Really loved this Julia, thank you!

Pepper said...

This was beautiful, Julia -and a wonderful reminder of where our focus needs to be.