Saturday, October 29, 2011

What Up the Street For Next Week?

Have you found your favorite costume yet?
If you're dressing up (or if you could dress up as anything) what are you going to be?
It's so much fun to put on a mask and change your personality into someone (or something) you can only be in make believe.
Don't we do that a little bit with our characters? Put on their personalties for a little while as we write them?
Are there any characters you're writing who are difficult masks for you to wear? Difficult to get into their skin?

Some books about writing characters:
Characters, Emotions, & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress
Plot Versus Character- A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction by Jeff Gerke
Getting Into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn From Actors by Brandilyn Collins
Believable Characters: Creating With Enneagrams by Laurie Shnebly

What's Happening This Week?

Monday - Angie brings The Writers Quench to you today - what do you do with thirsty sentences?

Tuesday - Julia challenges Pepper's last week post about Plotting from a Panster, with her own spin about Pantsing from a Plotter :-)

Wednesday - Sarah comes to help set you straight on setting goals with Goals-Schmoals: Here's What You Really Need

Thursday - More from Wendy from the fantastic book by Swain called Techniques of a Selling Writer

Friday - Cindy continues her series What's Missing From Your Novel? with Deep POV.

SIDEWALK TALK

It pays to be a frequent guest at The Alley - winner of Diann Mill's novel Attracted to Fire is Joanne Sher.

Here's some helpful (and fun) tips for Character Development:

http://www.keirsey.com/

What's your movie personality? http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/Movie-Personality-Quiz.aspx

Classic Movie Personality Test - http://similarminds.com/movie.html

http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/37_Hc1O/Which-Lord-of-the-Rings-Character-are-You

http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/1ew_zT/Which-Jane-Austen-heroine-are-you

10 comments:

Amber Holcomb said...

I'm dressing up as Elizabeth Swann from Pirates of the Caribbean. :) (Hopefully the costume still fits...I wore it a couple of times in high school!)

While it's difficult sometimes to get into the hearts of our characters, overall I love it! My characters become so dear to me, and they can sometimes remind me very much of myself (surprise, surprise!). ;)

~Amber

Pepper said...

Amber,
I totally agree with you. My characters become dear to me too - in fact, they almost feel like friends :-)
(whisper voice) I have a few who remind me of myself too ;-)

And I get to dress up three different days - so I'm trying to figure out how I can be something different for at least two of the days :-)

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Looks like a great week coming up! I'm going as a Greek goddess--my hubby is a Greek scholar. We're getting together with two other couples who are dressing with the same theme--can't wait to see their costumes! Have a super weekend!

Joanne Sher said...

Yay - love winning :)

This next week sounds WONDERFUL. I used to dress up as Olive Oyle cuz people often said I looked like her (NOT a compliment LOL) - but lately I've been doing the bunny thing cuz it's easy and I have what I need. Not sure if I'll actually dress up or not, though my kids are gonna be a graduate (10-y-o son) and a lion (almost 8-y-o daughter)

Debra E. Marvin said...

I took a break and checked out one of the movie personality quizzes. lots-o-fun!

Seems I am 'Apocolypse Now' I am a 'rogue wanderer on the winding road of life, searching for my shadow self'

Well, that's odd and sounds so strong for a woman sitting her in a paint stained sweatshirt with no interest in leaving my office chair all day. (It might be my 'writer costume'!)

I am also, thanks to you all, going to put Castle on my netflix queue for November. Tired of being out of the loop with the rest of the writing world...

Have a great week, ladies!

Pepper said...

Oh Debra!
I took the 'movie personality' quiz and this was my result:
"Lover
There's nothing you like better than getting comfortable on the couch with a box of tissues and a romantic comedy or drama. You live for happy endings and watching dreams on true on screen because it makes you optimistic that you can achieve your own dreams too--in life, your career, and of course, love."

Right ON! :-)

Pepper said...

Amber S.
FABULOUS! costume choice, btw

Pepper said...

What fun, Cindy
Are you going to take pictures? That would be great to post on next week's WE

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing the books and links about character! I'll have to take the movie one and see what it says. :)I'm also looking forward to checking out the other links.

I'm dressing up as a mom of two Star Wars jedi's in training this week. Thanks, ladies!

Amber Holcomb said...

Thanks, Pepper, for your understanding and for the encouragement! :D

And wow - three different costumes?? That should be fun! ;)

~Amber