Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Double Celebration At The Alley!

Today we celebrate the fact that TWO of our Alley Members placed in the Touched By Love Contest hosted by RWA's Faith, Hope, and Love Chapter. That's right!

Krista Phillips place SECOND in the Long Contemporary Category.

And I (Sherrinda) placed FIRST in the Historical Category.

We are doing the Happy Dance here at the Alley and hope you'll join us! I'm bringing the chocolate covered strawberries and the fruit slushies...oh, and maybe I'll go all out and get a chocolate fountain. Sigh....decadent.

There are so many contests to enter that gives writers a chance to get feedback on their writing. There is usually a small fee, but if the contests gives you the scoresheets back, then it is well worth the investment. Many times, the entries go before editors of different publishing houses. You never know what might strike some editor's fancy and they may just ask for a full. (And no, that did not happen to me, but I've heard of such stories!)

If you are interested in Writing Contests, check out this post, August Contest Update, on Seekerville. It is filled with contests to enter, plus links to help "pimp" your entry.

Has anyone entered any contests lately? Gotten any scoresheets back from one you entered? Do you even LIKE contests? What are you thoughts?

15 comments:

Katie Ganshert said...

Congrats to both you and Krista!!

Heather Sunseri said...

Congrats, Sherrinda and Krista! You girls rock!

Pepper said...

WOOHOOO!!! So happy, HAPPY for you girls and just dancin' about it in my office. With the door closed. As not to scare the grad students.
(Some things should NEVER be witnessed)

What a wonderful encouragement for you BOTH! And Sherrinda, what a way to end your VERY FIRST writing contest. BEEEutiful story..ahem...and I need the next chapter.

Linda Kage said...

YAY!!! Krista and Sherrinda are so awesome. I put on my happy-dancing shoes so I can celebrate with you.

Thank you for the link for contest entries. Contests have helped me edit my stories numerous times.

Sarah Forgrave said...

WOW!!! So excited for you both!

Erica Vetsch said...

Congratulations to you both! What wonderful news! Delighted for you both!

Casey said...

I am SO HAPPY for you both! I am joining Pepper on that dance!!! I couldn't be more thrilled than if I had won it myself, way to go laaaaadieeeeessss!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you hear the HC holler???

Julia M. Reffner said...

Awesome!! Congrats to Krista and Sherrinda!!

I am thinking about entering some contests maybe later in the Fall. I'm such a newbie, but I think the contest circuit will be helpful to me.

Susan Anne Mason said...

Congratulations, Sherrinda & Krista. I'm sharing your happiness because I also placed second in the Short Contemporary category of TBL!

Very exciting. The comments from the judges were really great. Now I just have to take their advice and fix my ms! Hope it's that easy!

Thanks to the Faith, Hope & Love Chapter for sponsoring such a great contest!

Sue

Mary Vee Storyteller said...

What a fantastic reason to celebrate! Super congrats to both you, Sherrinda, and Krista.

Wahoo!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Woot, wooot, congratulations. Hey I just heard the Golden Pen is short on inspies. Perfect opportunity!!!!! Melissa Endlich of Steeple Hill is judging and I know one person who sold two years ago thanks to the GP (Glynna Kaye)!!!

Pepper said...

Congrats, Sue.
OOOOh, Tina - that sounds like a GREAT plan ;-)

patti said...

May God bless this opportunity, Sherrinda and Krista, two of my favorite bloggites.

Patti

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Wow, I'm late (worked till 7pm last night, then had home "duties" around the house!) But THANK YOU for all the congratulations for me and Krista! We are both so excited!

Susan!!!! Congratulations!!!! That is awesome news! There is nothing like a win to boost your confidence a bit. ;)

And Tina, thanks for the heads up. That is indeed some good news.

Jaime Wright said...

AHHH!! I didn't know Krista placed TOO!! I'm SO PROUD!!