Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Writing Journey and Moi

Okay, so I couldn't come up with anything more original. Something you will learn VERY fast about me, is that I HATE titles, I don't have a mind for them, I don't like to think of cute ones, or ones with a good metaphor. So be fore warned, a bland title probably means I'm not too far behind. ; ) Better pull on your track shoes and start runnin'.

Yep, that's me, Casey. My eyes are a bit too squinty, don't you think? I have large pupils, so when light hits it, I get really bad squinty eyes. Makes a fun challenge come picture time.

Second to last this week to introduce myself, I have to follow up behind all these great ladies, Pepper, Sherrinda and Mary. Aren't they just the best?? And you still have Krista to look forward to tomorrow. But for today, you have to stick with me. :-P

Here are a few facts you might like to know about me...

I am a homeschooled graduate, my parents were brave enough to spend 12 years pouring knowledge into me and I am ever so thankful they decided to go that route, it has made me the person that I am.

I have 3 other blogs besides partnering in this one, yeah I am a BIT addicted to blogging. ; ) Writing for Christ, Operation Encourage an Author and Bug's Beads. What can I say? They are all different and all a BLAST to work on. : )

I am a beginning/edging into intermediate writer (or at least I like to think I am almost an intermediate- depends how you define the terms : ).

I have completed one novel that I hope and pray will never see the light of publication-yeah it's that bad. Not completely without hope, but for right now it is safely hidden away.

But I am starting a new novel, contemporary this time and just fleshing out my characters and plot. I was told recently that about 360,000 words is around the time when the concepts really start to sink in and publication might be near. So far I am about 120,000 words into that goal.

I am serious about learning this craft and doing it the right way. I have taken classes (with Susan Mary Warren and Chip MacGregor) and have invested in a number of self help books. It is a challenge, but one that I am embracing and hope to succeed at someday. But I am leaving all thoughts and hopes of publication in God's hands. He knows the right time for my to make my debut. : ) I have found that when I dwell on that one aspect of publication or the contests that I have entered and what tomorrow might hold, I tend to hyperventilate and worry unnecessarily.

I have entered two contests this year, the ACFW Genesis and Susan May Warrren's Fraiser. I am a panster, but have found that a bit of plotting is good for me. Just like vegatables. Okay, maybe that isn't a good comparison. : )

I am excited to share this journey with you and hopefully we will be able to learn from each other from the posts we all share.

Okay here are a few worthless facts you might like to know. You never know, you might need them someday to answer a Jeopardy! question about me. : ) lol!

I love to knit (I am modeling one of my creations in the photo). I have made several sweaters, socks and am working on a skirt right now. I love to learn new things about that craft all the time. Coming up next week I will be doing a post on the comparisions between knitting and writing- stay tuned!

I love to read, (no big surprise there right?) Some of my favorite authors include: Julie Lessman, Deborah Raney, Tamera Alexander, MaryLu Tyndall, Janice Thompson, Siri Mitchell, Terri Blackstock, Lynn Austin, Beverly Lewis, Laura Frantz, Susan May Warren and the list goes on and on and on and on and on.... Okay I think you get the point.

I am the oldest of three and live on a farm. I would love for it to be in the middle of nowhere, but God hasn't seen fit to move us yet, so until then, content I will be. I would love for this to be my view every morning, but alas it is not.

I raised sheep for 9 years in 4H. I know, crazy, but what can I say, they are cute, good money makers and I loved the challenge of getting them ready for fair. : ) My sister is taking over that tradition now, though she has devoloped a desire to raise pigs. GASP!

I make jewelry under the name Bug's Beads. You can find the blog link up above. Custom jewelry that is simple yet, elegant, and pretty inexpensive. You can find pictures on that site too. (shameless promotion!)

I am a member of ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers). You will hear that name dropped alot amongst our group and if you are serious at all about your writing, you need to check this fabulous organization out. (though I am sure most of you have.)


But the most important thing you need to know about me, is that I am a born again child of God. I try very hard to make Jesus the center of my life and I believe with my whole heart and soul that He died on the cross for my sins and rose on the third day. He is the reason I write and I praise Him for this chance to bring glory to His name.

Soooo, that is me in a nutshell. Hopefully I haven't scared you off. If I have, you'll just have to enjoy the rest of the Alley Cats. Hee,hee, not sure how they are going to like that remark. I might have to edit that out later...good thing this is a cyber relationship and we aren't within swinging range of each other. ;-)

Thanks so much for stopping by and I can't wait to get to know you as well!!

When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

13 comments:

Krista Phillips said...

LOVED getting to know more about you, girl!! You are VERY talented, from sheep to knitting to beads, woohoo!

I knew I wanted to be a writer when I wrote an essay for English class, and fictionalized it for fun. We were supposed to write something, using a unique angle, that described ourselves. Um, mine was about my kids and future husband talking about me after I'd died from a brain aneurysm. Yeah, I get freaked out every time I get a headache now.

But... it was fun to write, I got an A, and the teacher gushed over my descriptions and writing skill. I've always loved to read, so that one little essay sparked a dream to write a whole book someday.

Pepper said...

Oh Casey!!!
Good mornin', sweetie.
Great post and I'm with Krista, it's wonderful getting to know you better.

I think you've done a WHOLE lot within the time you've been writing - and you ARE a very serious writer. Can't wait to see how you like the contemporary genre :-)

You'll hear more about this on my interview with Keli Gwyn on Monday, but I've made up stories as long as I can remember. The catalyst for seeing myself as a 'writer' came when I was 11 or 12 and my Granny bought me an old-fashioned typewriter from a yardsale. She gave it to me and said, "A writer needs a typewriter"
Though it was a very long time after that before I 'seriously' started the writing journey, that moment planted the seed and God's continued to water that seed throughout my life :-)

Unknown said...

I'm a new knitter. I love the sweater. One of these days I'm going to learn how to knit socks!

Casey said...

Thank you Krista. It's all things I love to do, so it's not work for me at all. :)

Pepper, I am excited about the contemp genre too. I am going to try first person. :) We shall see...

Julie, so great to see you here! Thanks for stopping by! Socks are not hard, in fact I will be talking about them next week. I need to start a new pair and hopefully I will be able to do a little tutorial on on other blog when I do. :) Keep an eye peeled.

Keli Gwyn said...

It's nice to meet you, Casey. You obviously have a humble heart and are talented in many areas: writing, knitting, beading, and many more I would imagine.

Kudos to you on completing your first novel. What genre is it? Romance perhaps? You said this one is a contemporary. That must mean the last was either historical--or even futuristic. I'd like to hear more about it. If it was a historical, what period and why did you choose it? Where was it set?

I can't remember a time when I didn't want to be a writer. I asked for a typewriter for Christmas when I was twelve. However, it wasn't until my one and only started high school that I began to write fiction with a goal of publication. I've been honing my craft the past four and a half years and having a wonderful time writing and meeting other writers.

Casey said...

It is great to meet you too, Keli!

My first novel was historical fiction set in pre/post Cival War. I chose the Civil War because that was what I loved to study in school and it naturally grew from that love. I like that story it has a good premise, but the writing is poor, which is why I set it aside. Someday I hope to pick it back up, but for now I need to move on. :) It has a romance thread, but it is not pure romance.

This next one is looking like women's fiction.

Thanks for stopping by!!

Laura Frantz said...

Casey, It's a treat to get a peek into your life as you are my encouragement gal:) I'm so glad you were homeschooled as that's what I've done for so many years with my boys. And now I know who my go to person is about sheep! I love lambs. Maybe you should write a historical in future with a sheep theme, no kidding! One of my favorite authors, Liz Curtis Higgs, does that beautifully in her Scottish series. And thanks for including me with your favorite authors. I'm still pinching myself. Bless you bunches.

Casey said...

I meant every word, Laura! :) So glad to see you here, thanks for stopping by. I have been blessed to be homeschooled and I think it is amazing when others do as well. I came across more every day! I do know sheep, but not sure I want to spend an entire book with them. LOL! Maybe someday. :)

Have a wonderful day and thank you again for stopping by!!

Kim said...

Casey,
Thanks for letting us get to know you a bit more. What a delightful blog entry!

Even though I have never really written anything, I knew that I wanted to pursue the writing world when I was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer 18 months ago. I was telling my family, I am happy with all areas of my life, with my only regret being that I haven't done anything with my dream of writing.

Thus my recent introduction into the blogging world.

Thanks again for all your sharing!

Casey said...

Thank you Kim for stopping by! I hope your cancer is in full remission! By all means pursue your dream, don't let anything stop you or any excuse. You will only regret it later. Don't worry, just write. If you love it, it will be possible.

So glad you liked my post, and I hope we get to see more of you soon!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Awww, Casey! You are amazing! Truly, to be so talented at such a young age...well, it's inspiring! I know God has big plans for you, girl!

I wanted to write in high school, but life got in the way and so now I'm just now beginning this writing journey. :)

I'm jealous of your knitting ability. I would love to sit and just "be".

Mia said...

I know I'm a bit late in commenting, but I loved learning more about you, Casey! We have a lot in common. I was home schooled, and I make beaded jewelry, as well (earrings are my specialty). Oh, and I suck at coming up with decent titles. I'm certain anybody can come up with better titles than I can ;)

I first knew I wanted to be a writer when I was around 10, and a writing assignment in school was actually fun. *gasp* I started getting serious about pursuing the craft of writing in my teens.

Casey said...

Thank you Sherrinda, that means a lot. :) I love knitting and I don't just "be" I usually do something else while doing it, like watching tv. Haven't figured out how to read and knit at the same time, though. :)

MIA!!How fun to meet a like minded person!! Yep, yep and yep to all you said, been there done that and STILL doing it. :D

Thanks for stopping by, I hope to see more of you, girl!